News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Chain Problem  (Read 23577 times)

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
Re: Chain Problem
« Reply #45 on: 05, January, 2010 - 14:10:52 »
Top service there  8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #46 on: 05, January, 2010 - 15:46:50 »
Good luck with the repairs Mike - keep us updated - hope it's not too costly.

Offline mike7201

• Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #47 on: 06, January, 2010 - 13:03:29 »
 ;D  Hooray!  Back on the road!

Took my C5 for a quick ride in the snowy weather today.  It felt so surreal to ride through snow as it fell from the sky.

Speak soon.

Mike

Karl

« Reply #48 on: 06, January, 2010 - 13:46:42 »
;D  Hooray!  Back on the road!

Fantastic news mate, so glad it's turned out okay  8)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #49 on: 06, January, 2010 - 16:35:04 »
Thanks.  I've now decided to keep my C5 dry for the monent, and have set myself the task of cleaning it in time for spring - which at the moment seems a long way off, but it'll soon come round.  The other day, I found that Mr Muscle's kitchen cleaner works wonders on the oil and grease marks left on the shell after I'd been working on the fence and re-fitting the chain etc.

Good luck to you all on the 10th.  I have a good feeling about it!  You may even have a surprise or two.  Then again,you may not.  Either way, I'm sure it will be an event to remember. 

Finally, a message to anyone considering selling their C5's.  If you have only one C5, keep it.  Look after it and love it like it means something to you.  You never know, you may be glad you kept it!

All the best,

Mike.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #50 on: 09, January, 2010 - 19:23:45 »
Took my C5 out for a spin this evening.  Blimey - I thought I was going to lose my fingers - I forgot to wear gloves!!!  :o  :o

It's FREEEEEEEZING!

Managed to do half my usual circuit.  However, despite having a good fully charged battery, it lasted only half the length of time it would usually.  Is that because it's so cold?

Also, I noticed there's something 'rubbing' somewhere. When I'm rolling along, it sounds like there's something rubbing, or scraping.  If I lean to the left a little, it eases and the C5 moves a little bit quicker.   

Perhaps something's still not quite right.  Perhaps this too, explains why the battery died so soon.  It could've been that because something's rubbing, the battery was under extra strain to meet the demand of my left thumb, which nearly froze to the handlebar!

I should clarify that at the present time, the arches look great, and there's no rubbing or wheel issues.  I could do with a little tire inflation though, but apart from that, perhaps when it warms up I should inspect underneath and see what's occuring.

Any thoughts?

Offline minimin

« Reply #51 on: 09, January, 2010 - 21:12:15 »
Hi Mike,
Good to hear you and your C5 are out and about! One of the main problems of the C5 at launch was that the battery didn't last half as long as it was advertised. It was launched 25 years ago tomorrow, in the snow but the battery was tested and finalised the summer before, when it lasted much longer.

With regards to the funny noise, and what I remember from my C5, I think it is drive belt related? That is what usually makes the funny noise.

Mark

Offline mike7201

« Reply #52 on: 10, January, 2010 - 09:44:49 »
Thanks Mark.  Drive belt appears to be ok.  It's not clicking. 

When I lean to the left, it sorts itself...  Hmmm...  :-\

Offline mike7201

« Reply #53 on: 11, January, 2010 - 11:53:56 »
Nope...  Definitely not the belt.

Offline techytype

« Reply #54 on: 11, January, 2010 - 14:04:43 »
i'm no C5 expert, but for what it's worth based on cars and deterining a wheel bearing is on its way out, my guess is the wheel bearing race case is pitted, so as the balls roll over the pits your getting that noise and vibration, alleviated by moving to one side (so the weight) when you lean to one side.

hope it helps

regs
alan

Offline mike7201

« Reply #55 on: 15, February, 2010 - 19:47:31 »
My Father took my C5 out for a ride the other day.  My Mother didn't want him to ride it, as she thinks they're dangerous (crazy woman).  I think she's got the impression that they can do 0-60 in 10 seconds flat or something like that!!

Anyway, he thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and said it was amazing.  Even though the chain came off half way!  He's lighter than I am though, so didn't need to pedal, and the motor took him on reasonable load without over-loading it.

We've come to the conclusion, that it may well be that we need to shorten the chain.  Ever such a little bit though.  We've adjusted the chain tensioner, and I've fitted lord knows how many springs and extra tensioning equipment, to just keep the chain tighter than it is, yet it still bounces and comes off...

The axel appears to be fine, and the chassis is welded tight, so that's fine too.  Is it possible that the chain may have actually 'stretched' over time?  If so, is it easy to simply shorten it by one or two links?  We can't find a join or anything that highlights where it was made to begin with, so don't know where to begin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #56 on: 15, February, 2010 - 21:45:48 »
This is what i used, you can get them from most good cycle shops, or get them to do it for you.

There are some tutorial vids on this page on removing links and checking for wear etc.

John

http://bicycletutor.com/chain-tool/
http://bicycletutor.com/quick-release-chain-link/
« Last Edit: 15, February, 2010 - 22:12:04 by PLOD11 »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #57 on: 16, February, 2010 - 08:18:34 »
HI THERE FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED TO FIND IF THE CHAIN HAS A JOINING LINK WITH A PIN GOING THROUGH IT AND A COTTER PIN THROUGH IT .IF SO OK IT IS POSABLE TO TAKE IT OUT ..CHECK PHOTO PS THE ONE IN THE PHOTO IS NOT QUIET THE SAME BUT SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEA .

Karl

« Reply #58 on: 16, February, 2010 - 21:51:53 »
I think thats also referred to as a "half link" .

Offline mike7201

« Reply #59 on: 17, February, 2010 - 09:45:52 »
Super.  Thanks guys.

Do you think it's likely that my C5 chain will have a 'half-link'?