News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Chain Problem  (Read 23566 times)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Chain Problem
« Reply #60 on: 17, February, 2010 - 13:41:27 »
Hi there I think that the original Chain did have the 1/2 link ...if the chain has stretched quite a lot you could take out 1 and 1/2 links and replace it with a normal single split pin  link but the chain does not always join back together again due it it being to tight , so you would be better of getting a new chain but you may find that is not a easy as it seems ...what ever you do save the 1/2 link you may need it for the new chain .Ask Karl if he has a chain for sale .....

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #61 on: 17, February, 2010 - 16:08:34 »
Thanks mate.  Karl, I'm going to try and see if I can get my chain fixed.  If I can't, do you have any in stock?  Thanks,

Mike

Karl

« Reply #62 on: 17, February, 2010 - 18:04:11 »
I don't sell them anymore, but Adam does.

I have used a bicycle chain on one of my C5's which was ok - but you have to buy two to make one big enough to fit. I found that a standard bicycle chain still slips a little when pedalling hard up hills, maybe a heavy duty one might work better ? 

Offline mike7201

« Reply #63 on: 17, February, 2010 - 19:28:58 »
Okey doke.  I'll see what comes of the attempt to rectify the problem, then if I can't sort it, I'll look into buying one.  Can't be without that's for sure!

Offline techytype

« Reply #64 on: 17, February, 2010 - 20:07:25 »
you need to have a good look at the sprocket teeth both ends, to see if they have worn into hook shapes.

but imo it's really an original deign flaw, you have a very long length of chain top and bottom, both spans will tend to flap on every bump, the chain tension design only slightly alleviates but will not cure that problem.

so i'd think it better to do as others have and fit a derailier style tensioner similar as found on sports push bikes, the better springing and figure of 8 designed chain run, is a far better idea and suited for quick reaction to sporadically loosened chains.

regs
Alan

Offline mike7201

« Reply #65 on: 20, February, 2010 - 13:38:50 »
Managed to get the chain sorted at last.  A friend has kindly removed a link or two, and no more than that.  He said it looks like it had stretched a little, but apart from that, it maintains great shape.

I rode the C5 to his house on Wednesday evening, and went down the same hill that I tried to get to work on at the end of last year.  Folks may remember my unfortunate 'blow out' due to the excessive front braking.

Well, this trip was far better than the last.  Or at least it would've been had the rear brake lever not snapped off en-route!  I had to use my feet on the road to slow me down, as I started to go too fast! 

The front brake worked really well though, but it don't harf generate some heat on the metal wheel!  I'm surprised it wasn't glowing red!  Anyway, whilst my mate is having a look at it, he's offered to take a look at the brake too.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #66 on: 20, February, 2010 - 16:35:39 »
You should not be able to take a link or two out !!  That would make the chain far to tight.. (they don't stretch that far)

The conclusion is you don't have a genuine C5 chain fitted...

If the chain is to tight you will bend the rear axle.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #67 on: 20, February, 2010 - 20:52:28 »
I thought that exact same issue would be a problem too Umpa, but the chain is so slack, it's almost touching the road!!  I've made it clear to the guy who's offered to have a go that it mustn't be made so that the tensioner is unemployed.  I stressed that if he had to take a link or two out, that it must be done so that the tensioner still has something to do.

You're probably right, it may not be a genuine C5 chain at all, but then, I really don't know a C5 chain from any other.  It may even be a 'bodged' chain from some other source, but one thing's for sure, and that is that surely it can't go on being so long that it hangs so far that the tensioner spikes are miles away from the chain?

If it doesn't work, I'll ask him to re-fit the links, and see if I can get the local bike shop to take a look.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #68 on: 22, February, 2010 - 10:17:11 »
I bought a new one  from Adam, I reckon you should too.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #69 on: 22, February, 2010 - 12:07:25 »
You could be right there mate.  However, I've since found out that the chassis may still be slightly bent in another area to that mentioned previously, so it may not yet be the chain at all.

Sorry to not make much sense.  I say one thing, then what I thought was the problem turns out to be something else.  All part of the learning curve I suppose!

I'll have to wait a while, to see what we can find out.  If it's not the chain that is the problem, then I suppose it would be pointless replacing it.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #70 on: 24, February, 2010 - 10:19:40 »
I made my chain with two good ones from the bike shop, but it sill can slip when really having to pedal hard, like the Brooklands hill climb event, so I reckon its worth getting the original from Adam next time

Retro Andy

Offline techytype

« Reply #71 on: 24, February, 2010 - 11:02:27 »
the chain being close to the road is the most obviousstarting point, i'd agree with others about removing the links, and seems to point to its not an C5 original chain, perhaps a substitute joined from 2 cheap bike chains by previous owner?

once you are happy all is well with the frame please check the sprocket and gear teethe for wear, showing as  'hooks' they should be even on both edges. if this has happened even on a slight back peddle during heavy peddling it can derail the chain.

i'd then go for the correct chain from Adam imo despite the perhaps higher cost.

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #72 on: 24, February, 2010 - 23:12:40 »
I dont think buying two bicycle chains from somewhere like Halfords actually works out that much cheaper than buying a correct one from Adam, especially if you end up having to buy a couple of joining links or a chain breaker as well  :-\.

At least you know Adams one will fit properly and is up to the job  8)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #73 on: 24, February, 2010 - 23:45:56 »
Just bought one from Adam and it cost a lot less than two normal size chains and all the bits and grief that goes with trying to stick two together.   :o

Offline techytype

« Reply #74 on: 25, February, 2010 - 15:25:16 »
Just bought one from Adam and it cost a lot less than two normal size chains and all the bits and grief that goes with trying to stick two together.   :o

cheaper alternative is if i ever have to peddle - then i tell the wife to get out of the car and 'push'  8)