News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Motor load indication  (Read 6126 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Motor load indication
« on: 27, December, 2009 - 17:13:08 »
Does anyone know how the motor load indicators get their readings ? - Goldfinger is showing no load strain (green led condition) in all situatons i.e even up hill.

Regards Radiomarty

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Motor load indication
« Reply #1 on: 27, December, 2009 - 17:24:48 »
Sorry Marty I don't know the answer, but its this sort of question I was thinking that could go in a, C5 Q&A section if Karl wants to make changes to the forum maybe ?

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 27, December, 2009 - 22:33:08 »
There is a wiring diagram in the downloads section , and also a feature on the pod in the unofficial handbook - also in the download section.

If these don't help , you could try an email to c5martin see if he's able to advise ?

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 11, January, 2010 - 14:14:32 »
Does anyone know how the motor load indicators get their readings ? - Goldfinger is showing no load strain (green led condition) in all situatons i.e even up hill.

Regards Radiomarty

i can't say for sure with the C5 controls, but usually load is measured either passing the current through a low value resistance and measuring the voltage develped across that resistance (the motor being the resistance in this case), or having a high current meter in line with the load but unlikely on the C5.

as digital meter is used (which on the C5 is the Green Light Bar Graph Display), i'd say the fault you have is with the A-D (anologue to digital) converter circuit (usually a chip) has an issue or a resistor used to adjust it is shorted out causing a false reading.

regs
alan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 11, January, 2010 - 16:35:58 »
Thanks Alan suspected the chip LM358 but my spares guy sent me the wrong replacement so am waiting on a new part.This would fit in with what you are saying -Worth a try. I have to send a couple of Pods to C5 Martin anyway so if I can't cure it with my basic electronics skills I'll give the control box to him too !!! - Thank heavens for C5 Martin !!!!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 19, January, 2010 - 01:06:51 »
Can be frustrating at times !!!! - The saga goes - Goldfinger was showing no motor load indication on the LED array - Tried a few simple swapping parts  and found that when trying the pod on another c5 and the fault was still there ie no motor load indication- must be the Pod then me thinks - so I put a known good pod onto Goldfinger and problem still there !!! - Turns out that the control box and the Pod have a fault - Checked the wiring by putting a known good control box on Goldfinger and all was well - Good news found the fault in the control box ie 'iffy' LM358 chip probably damaged excessive reversing by the previous owner  :)- Bad news found the fault in the Pod - Yes that dam ula chip playing up  :(- anyway Goldfinger is now fine and running with a borrowed pod -while I save up for a new pod !!!!!!!! Oh to stumble on a box of ULA chips - someone must have some tucked away somewhere not knowing what they have me thinks .......
« Last Edit: 19, January, 2010 - 07:42:18 by radiomarty »

Offline techytype

« Reply #6 on: 19, January, 2010 - 16:08:37 »
really pleased you have got to the bottom of it, might be worth looking on ebay or even setting up a fav search.

hope Goldfinger will be a Brooklands, you il have to dress your sone and yourself in a tux  ;)

reges
Alan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 20, January, 2010 - 08:49:12 »
Thanks Alan - Goldfinger will be at Brooklands and I will be dressed up in something very eighties....................

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 20, January, 2010 - 22:32:41 »
Thanks Alan - Goldfinger will be at Brooklands and I will be dressed up in something very eighties....................

i hope not sporting an ''afro" and some very tight football shorts  :o

;D look forward to seeing you and '00C5'

regs
alan

aladds

« Reply #9 on: 19, April, 2010 - 21:33:15 »
I know this is an old thread, but hey, it's relevant to my situation.
Anyway, I seem to have a similar issue with my control box, I only ever have one green LED. I drove it all the way to Cambridge (about 5 miles) without any increase in "use." Cambridgeshire is flat...but surely not *that* flat. I just wondered if anyone else has a similar issues and wether the only fix is a new ULA...

(Unfortunately I didn't get it all the way home as my axle snapped... I've got another on the way though!)

I'll get the control box apart and inspect its contents, it's possible there's something amiss in there... Otherwise I'll have a look at making a ULA replacement...

It does at least drive as it is though (minus the current axle issue) so I'll make sure to be careful with using the motor too much, looking around here it seems that there's a possible issue of melting the glue holding the magnets in the casing, so as a temporary solution I should probably get a thermometer!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 19, April, 2010 - 22:01:33 »
Hi mate - I would check your control box (particully the LM358)all components are replacable - if no joy it will be the ULA chip IN THE POD- C5Martin does wonders with these things and managed to fix mine - worth a try bud - good luck and keep us updated

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 20, April, 2010 - 12:11:16 »
As radiomarty says, C5martin is still available for all Pod and Control box repairs;
http://www.c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/index.php?cPath=2&osCsid=3c8a9c61b69be3782ad5c03540ed2da7