News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Battery  (Read 8182 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Battery
« on: 10, January, 2010 - 12:35:54 »
Saw this today http://www.tayna.co.uk/048-Numax-Car-Battery-P983.html, and thought it may make a nice replacement for my exisiting '048' battery.  Seems to match up with the current battery, but just wanted to ask the oracles of knowledge what they thought....

So...  Do you think this would be safe on the motor and electrics and C5alive wiring kit?  Also, would it fit in the footwell?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 11, January, 2010 - 11:52:41 by mike7201 »

Offline mike7201

• Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: 11, January, 2010 - 11:53:30 »
Having thought about this, I think it may well be suitable, but would the C5 charger be ok for it?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 11, January, 2010 - 12:22:54 »
That battery should fit and power the c5 OK, the only problem I can see is that you might not be able to strap the battery in with the standard strap.  I used a bungee cord to lenthen mine.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 12, January, 2010 - 08:39:35 »
I tried numax leisure batteries in 2007 and they didn't last long at all. If you do go ahead and buy one of these let us know how you get on .I'd be interested to see if they've improved at all.

Offline techytype

« Reply #4 on: 18, January, 2010 - 20:23:03 »
hi guys,

i noticed this red button on the original keyswitch in

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/jordan8_2009/PICT0014-1.jpg

i assume its a thermal cut out, my original key switch was removed i assume when the leisure battery kit was fitted by C5 Martin, just raising it here as we had a discussion about fusing and protecting cables.

my best advice would be to do as the picture, i.e. retain the original switch and safety cut out, even if you bypass the switch.

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 18, January, 2010 - 22:54:31 »
hi guys,

i assume its a thermal cut out,

never assume anything mate;

http://www.sinclairc5.com/handbook/handbook_page_8.htm

The c5alive wiring kit as fitted to your particular c5 allows it to retain full functionality of the thermal protection.

Personally, I wouldn't keep the original keyswitches coz they are getting temperamental with age causing reliability problems.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #6 on: 19, January, 2010 - 07:40:45 »
I've said it before, I'd keep the original battery cover and key switch set up only if for visual display use, but if you want to use your C5, the only way is the C5 Alive wiring kit. Thats my thoughts away.

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 19, January, 2010 - 08:05:29 »
Have to second that - C5 Alive wiring kit is for me - reverse battery protection and a simple on off on a switch - keep the original set up for putting back on when you sell it - as the guy's say the original set up is unreliable and limit your battery choice.

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 19, January, 2010 - 16:04:45 »
hi guys,

i assume its a thermal cut out,

never assume anything mate;

http://www.sinclairc5.com/handbook/handbook_page_8.htm

The c5alive wiring kit as fitted to your particular c5 allows it to retain full functionality of the thermal protection.

Personally, I wouldn't keep the original keyswitches coz they are getting temperamental with age causing reliability problems.

i stand corrected

//slinks off to dark corner  :)//

i'm not so bothered about having the switch, but no overload protection makes me a bit wary. theres a lot of current available to do some real damage. i have seen spanners melted when dropped across car battery terminals and alarm batteries cause fire in wiring when shorted  :o

a simple car fuse might be better than nothing or the type of overload switch often found on appliances.

Fords had (still have?) a switch in the passenger foot well that kills the ignition on severe impacts (but also as i found out over speed bumps  ::)), could be a contender.

regs
alan

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #9 on: 19, January, 2010 - 21:36:03 »
Alan,

Doh ! who never read the manual again (you remember the scanner incident!) :). Have to admit I have not had a moments problems with Martin's Wiring Kit and the only C5 I have seen catch fire was Scots on the Crawley run, where a wire in his control box arced. Even with a battery fuse fitted I do not think this would have prevented the fire. Not saying what you are suggesting is a bad idea, but is it a necessary one? My main concern would be unless fitted securely and with the operational vibration (nice way off saying no suspension), another fuse popping out could be more of a hindrance than a help.

Kurt

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #11 on: 19, January, 2010 - 23:23:28 »
Thanks fezza that would certainly do the trick.

Offline techytype

« Reply #12 on: 20, January, 2010 - 22:48:20 »
Alan,

Doh ! who never read the manual again (you remember the scanner incident!) :). Have to admit I have not had a moments problems with Martin's Wiring Kit and the only C5 I have seen catch fire was Scots on the Crawley run, where a wire in his control box arced. Even with a battery fuse fitted I do not think this would have prevented the fire. Not saying what you are suggesting is a bad idea, but is it a necessary one? My main concern would be unless fitted securely and with the operational vibration (nice way off saying no suspension), another fuse popping out could be more of a hindrance than a help.

Kurt

nah! manuals are for wooses! not real men lol! (as for the scanner just you remember Exel Bike Show car prk attendants comments?  :o) - i'll say no more lol!.

but seriously, i don't criticise the C5's wiring kit as it has no doubt saved many controllers, but i'm an engineer so by nature i look for best practice and if possible where improvements can be made.

if you want an idea how much several amps can do, fill a pocket with a few coins then drop a PP3 duracel in on top, shake - rattle and roll just won't cover the exhibition description as the coins heat up and burn into your leg  :D

a decent modern in line fuse holder will not be affected by vibration or shock, but will be affected by surges caused when starting up or stalling on an incline so culd be a PIA, that's why i'd prefer to go with an electronic or thermal overload solution, mainly to protect against a prolonged shorts and subsequent fire risk.

the argument it has not happened before is not proof perfect it won't to someone, with my luck guess who will likely be the 1st?

regs
alan

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #13 on: 21, January, 2010 - 08:59:37 »

if you want an idea how much several amps can do, fill a pocket with a few coins then drop a PP3 duracel in on top, shake - rattle and roll just won't cover the exhibition description as the coins heat up and burn into your leg  :D

regs
alan

Only a moron would do that!..................  :o

Offline techytype

« Reply #14 on: 21, January, 2010 - 18:59:59 »

regs
alan

Only a moron would do that!..................  :o

;D ;D ;D maybe, most people just don't realise just how many amps a simple and innocuous 9 volt alkaline battery can deliver into a short circuit, even when half flat.

that applies seemingly intruder alarm trainees, but common jap practiced on the trade newbs   ;) - like sending them out to buy a pink champayne bubble's for the spirit level lol!

regs
alan