News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: 10 Second drive  (Read 7718 times)

mexced

10 Second drive
« on: 30, March, 2009 - 20:12:09 »
Hello,

a finally got my new battery today. A next generation AGM battery, which is also used in golf carts.  But i could only drive for 10 seconds then it blew a fuse. This is a fuse i used for security reason between the battery cable. It is a 30A fuse, is this to low? Strange thing is with a normal car battery i could drive for a few minutes, which is normal because the battery was only meant for starting a car engine. There is a different in voltage between the car battery and the AGM battery the first one is exactly 12Volt and the AGM is between 12.8 and 13 volts. The new battery is 55Ah. Has somebody a suggestion?
« Last Edit: 30, March, 2009 - 21:14:15 by mexced »

mexced

Re: 10 Second drive
« Reply #1 on: 31, March, 2009 - 19:29:13 »
That's a great option 2 fuses. Instead of a fuse i used today a 70 Amp diode, but the problem with this is it reduces the voltage to much. So i removed it, and went on a long test drive. But i'am going to use the 2 fuses option, thanks for the info.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 02, April, 2009 - 07:20:30 »
I have to ask - why are you even fitting a fuse ?

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 02, April, 2009 - 07:44:55 »
I must add, i am thinking the same, what is different with your c5 to need the fuse/s ?

Retro Andy

ogb

« Reply #4 on: 03, April, 2009 - 09:09:52 »
make a shortcut (direct connection of + and - ) in your wiring without a fuse :o
it will burn down all your cabling  ;D
that's why  ???

if you like to test it
take an electric wire firmly in your hands and connect is to the + AND -
keep both your hands on the wire
of you able to reach the burns unit give me a call ,if you still manage

do not try this at home !!!   it is dangerous and will harm you
« Last Edit: 03, April, 2009 - 09:17:41 by ogb »

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 03, April, 2009 - 09:56:39 »
the only fuses on a c5 should be in the control box but if its bean modified then god knows

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 03, April, 2009 - 11:32:39 »
..I'm confused by this entire thread  ... :-\

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 03, April, 2009 - 15:43:04 »
Me too, and it dont take a lot to confuse me.

Retro Andy

mexced

« Reply #8 on: 03, April, 2009 - 22:59:26 »
Well very simple, if you connect the battery wires the wrong way it's bye bye control box!

I have to ask - why are you even fitting a fuse ?

c5martin

« Reply #9 on: 04, April, 2009 - 08:24:44 »
Because of the time delay on the fuse blowing you will still fry the Pod and Control Box.

The only way to be safe is to use a C5ALIVE power Wiring Kit.

The Stall Current of a C5 is over 100Amps which the electrics are designed to cut out.

Good old Sinclair another safety feature.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 04, April, 2009 - 11:32:21 »
Go with the safe option, i connected mine the wrong way when i was restoring it and messed up the control box, Martin fixed this for me and i then changed to the c5 alive wiring kit, its the only way if you are going to use your c5.

Retro Andy.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 05, April, 2009 - 19:45:00 »
True - and worth every penny.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 07, April, 2009 - 08:18:46 »
True - and worth every penny.

..they must be good, we've sold out twice  :P

We're busy working on re-stocking !  ;)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #13 on: 27, November, 2009 - 17:05:35 »
i know this is an old thread just though i'd throw in my 2 pence worth.

i seen many an aarm sysem burst into flames due to a short on the battery leads caused by so called 'engineers' being inexperienced, careless or just plain stupid

a fuse is to protect the wiring to, not the device it supplies - a common misconception because wire is relatively cheap in comparison to the device, so why protect it people think?, hence a fuse in a 13amp plug top as well as fuse/s inside you telly/radio would sem over kill to the uninitiated.

trust me it makes very sound sense safety wise to have fuses/breaers at the earliest point of power take off, or you risk sitting on the equivalent of a naked toaster should a short occur in the wiring prior to the fused control box  ;D

if want to prove a point? drop some coins in your pocket then drop Duracel PP3 in on top, count how long before your hopping about and dropping your strides in sheer panic  ::) and thats only a few amps @ 9volts

earlier it stated the Sinclair Motor can draw 100 amps on stall, if the battery is shorted it can deliver several hundreds of amps, easily more than enough to start a fire, not a good thing to happen in a mainly plastic vehicle, especially if traveling in traffic.

a simple standard wired fuse may well blow regularly, so perhaps anti surge or slow blow could be used, the resettable thermal type as used on washing machines could employed but getting such a high amperage might be an issue.

thought i'd just clear that up for future readers

regs
alan
///puts soap box back in cupboard

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 03, December, 2009 - 07:44:18 »
There are fuses in in the C5 control box Alan, the problem is not about it shorting and catching fire, its about cross wiring it and blowing the diode and other parts in the box.

The C5 was never designed to be able to be cross wired so no protection was included, in fact as I think about it I don't think any car has a battery short protection either, the largest fuse on my car is 30 amp, which is not enough.  It uses relays to start the car just as the C5 wiring kit does.

Can you imagine the bang from a 100 amp fuse ? the shock is more likely to kill you more than the hot wire.....  ;D