News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: My C5 now drives, but (almost) no pod ...  (Read 7379 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: My C5 now drives, but (almost) no pod ...
« Reply #15 on: 03, October, 2009 - 06:38:35 »
Once you get that 5 volts on the pod you will be on the way to it working. If you have a look at the circuit you will find that most if not all the workings of the POD runs off 5 volts.

So get you regulator changed and that resistor and hopefully all will be well. Evrything in the control box and pod is replaceable, except the ULA Chip in the pod, hopefully this is ok as these aren't available anymore.

Good luck with it, hope to hear its all working soon.

John

Durango2k

« Reply #16 on: 14, October, 2009 - 19:55:17 »
To give you the situation now, it still does not work.

I found a blown R1 (2k2???) to be the next cause to check. There's 12 on one side, but nothing on the other side. Removed it, and found it to be open. Will replace it, cause the voltage regulator generating the 5V for the POD relies on it AFAI could find out so far.

Will report back.

Carsten

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #17 on: 14, October, 2009 - 20:33:16 »
Good luck - hope this works

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #18 on: 15, October, 2009 - 00:45:03 »
Don't give up, you will get it sorted in the end, you need a lot of patience withe C5s but its worth it in the end !!! ::)

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

John

Durango2k

« Reply #19 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:53:15 »
Well, I did my homework.

I swapped the resistor for a NEW one. I was told that 2R2 means 2.2 Ohms, and so I bought a 2.2 Ohm one.

It virtually BLEW up in flames when I hooked up the battery. That was that for it.

Say voltage U = 12 Volts.

Now, U=R*I, and this means I did put roughly 6 Amps through it.

With

P=U*I it means 72 Watts.

Hey, it's
only specified for 1/4 Watt !

What value is this R1 resistor ? Is is 2000 Ohms ? Misprint on the plan, should have read 2k2 and not 2r2 ?

IF 2.2 Ohms is correct, then, why is it blowing ? I removed the cable to the pod first, but still, bang, hot.

I did swap the LM342 for an 7805A one, is this the correct replacement ? D1 was loos, so, I resoldered it, and D4 is NEW, too....

Carsten

Durango2k

« Reply #20 on: 16, October, 2009 - 19:04:23 »
I tried tonight to simply bridge the 2.2 R1 resistor. Then, the LM 7805 gets DARN out (ask my burned thumb).

The old 342 does not get hot. Interesting.

Still, I never get 5 Volts on Pin 1 of the POD connector.

Dammit, what am I missing ? It looks so simple !

Carsten

Durango2k

« Reply #21 on: 17, October, 2009 - 16:28:39 »
IT NOW WORKS !

It WAS darn simple.

First, LM342 was shot. Led me to replace it with an 7805. This then blew R1, because it draws more power. Then I put a wire bridge there, and then it still did not work.
THEN, TODAY, I thought there MUST be a shortcut behind the 7805 cause it won't get HOT and deliver NULL else. So I carefully looked, and found that I must have bridged C2 (lower left, C6 ?) when I re-soldered the whole board.

NOW, I have a wire bridge instead R1, an 7805 instead of the LM342, and thats all.

The right side of the Pod is fully lit, the left side lits- and then blinks only the rightmost LED.

What does it mean ? No idea. Will RTFM soon :-). Now, I'll reassemble it and test drive. It's dark and rainy ? Who cares.

Carsten