News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: 501 LED White bulbs  (Read 4619 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
501 LED White bulbs
« on: 01, October, 2009 - 13:04:58 »
I'd like to know how easy it is to replace the original front bulb with one of the C5alive shop ones called '501 LED White bulbs'.

Is it just a case of removing the bulb and inserting one of these new LED ones?  Or, is it more complicated.

Can they also be used in the back light too?  I'm trying power saving for better battery economy when I get my C5 back on the road.

Thanks.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: 501 LED White bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 01, October, 2009 - 13:55:30 »
I bought a blue led replacement. It did not have 501 LEDs lol. It was the same size as the old bulb, and is a push fit replacement.

I don't know about the White, but the blue was not as bright as the original. I would not replace them for saving power, as the original one ran on hardly anything. 

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 01, October, 2009 - 17:00:54 »
"501" is just the model number.

LED bulbs are proven to use considerably less power, so much so that some cars fitted with "bulb failure" displays cannot detect properly functioning led bulbs in use and show them as failed  ;D

Another advantage over the standard filament bulb is that LED bulbs do not produce the heat that filaments can.

I've had a c5 headlight melt due to the heat caused by a filament bulb that shorted out. A new headlight from Adam is around the £40 price.

Fitting the led bulb is a money saving option in more ways than one  8)

And yes, it is a straight forward push fit.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 01, October, 2009 - 22:05:53 »
This is true Karl, but on a car that can draw over 100Amps when running - 5 watts is now't.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #4 on: 03, October, 2009 - 13:19:57 »
Say I had the LED bulb, how do I get the front light cover off, so I can remove the old bulb and insert the new one?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 03, October, 2009 - 14:59:16 »
Say I had the LED bulb, how do I get the front light cover off, so I can remove the old bulb and insert the new one?

You don't have to remove the light to replace the bulb, the bulb holder is inside the black plastic box at the front of the c5 by the pedals (along the top of the "transmission tunnel" )

You should remove the bulb holder first if you want to remove the light. Best to reach up under the "nosecone" of the bodyshell ,by the front wheel. Gently squeeze the clips together slightly and the light will lift out.