News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: In town for a ride !  (Read 12405 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: In town for a ride !
« Reply #15 on: 26, October, 2009 - 12:07:29 »
Hi Mike,

There are lots of factors in how long batteries last here are just a few.

Tyre pressures - to soft is bad for battery - to hard and they might blow - aim for abut 35psi - 40psi depending on make of tyre.
Tyre Type - do you have low rolling resistance?
Battery type and condition
Terrain - hilly or flat
C5 condition, binding brakes, tight bearings all play a part
You - are you a big guy or a small guy ?

Also - get them legs going - lol

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #16 on: 26, October, 2009 - 15:04:29 »
Yep, I guess you have a point there Umpa.  I'm a very tall person, and weigh a lot too!  Having said that, I have found the C5 a great way of getting some great cardiovascular excercise when peddalling.  Hopefully this will, in time, allow me to use this as an opportunity to excercise and enjoy riding at the same time.

As for tyres, they're original C5 tyres.  I know, I too thought that they should've been changed ages ago, but when I took my C5 into the local bike shop for an emergency tube & wheel replacement last month, they said the tyres were perfectly safe, and that they'd inspected them and could declare these particular tyres (on my vehicle at the time of them seeing it) safe to use at the present time.

This obviously isn't the case for everyone, and it should not be assumed that all original tyres are safe to use.  It just so happened that he said that although many C5 tyres of this age would have long perrised or dried out, these were of such a reasonable standard that he couldn't see why I couldn't use them for the present time.

To be honest, I plan to change them with some via the C5alive shop some time, but for the moment, I'm seeing how I do with these.

So...  Can I pop-in to my local garage where they've got an automatic tyre inflator?  If so, can I set the PSI system to inflate to a maximum of 35 psi?  Or, would it over-inflate baring in mind it's more often used for car tyres, or does that not matter?

Karl

« Reply #17 on: 26, October, 2009 - 15:33:37 »
Over inflating is a concern , but I think you'll struggle getting a garage forecourt type air line to connect to the rear inner tube valves. For the rear wheels, the valves are tucked away behind the rear hub caps, check the pictures in this link ;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=247.0

The front shouldn't be too bad once you remove the shroud because the front tubes have the angled valve making access easier.

I use a car type footpump because the flexible hose fitting makes life a lot easier :)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #18 on: 26, October, 2009 - 15:46:06 »
Thanks Karl, I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to pump it up, so I'll use the foot pump as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, supposing I did actually try the garage pump, would I simply select the 35psi then apply the air?

giles

« Reply #19 on: 26, October, 2009 - 16:31:30 »
The airline at a garage has an arangement whereby you can either push the air line on or pull it back and down onto the valve as in the case of the C5 rear valve accessed through the inside (in between the rear wheels under the boot).  I had no issues inflating mine to 35psi.

Next time you are at the forecourt have a look at th eairline you should see it effectively has two outlets for the air......  just right for a c5!  But as I am sure someone will say it will be easy to over-inflate if you are not whatching what you are doing.  The ones where you set the pressure would be ideal so you don't overshoot.
Cheers, Giles

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 26, October, 2009 - 17:45:07 »
Just for reference, the tyre pressures are written on the black inlay of the boot.  I think for genuine Sinclair tyres its 30psi for front and 35 for back.

It says not to use a high pressure line, I use a little electric car pump as I'm bone - lol

Offline mike7201

« Reply #21 on: 26, October, 2009 - 18:04:27 »
I have a bike pump and have always wondered what the meter with the red dial is for!!   ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #22 on: 27, October, 2009 - 07:21:48 »
How do you do it??  Are you using the same battery with the remaining charge from the weekend and still have two power sgments remaining??

???

I just can't work it out why mine's so rubbish (the battery I mean).

Yep, I have'nt charged the battery since last Thursday, although its been over several trips out, it has now covered approx 15 miles, the indicator dropped down to the last red light on the way home yesterday, I'm in the car this morning, but will be returning to work in Charlie after lunch.

Retro Andy

Offline mike7201

« Reply #23 on: 27, October, 2009 - 13:41:58 »
No polite way of asking this Andy, but how much do you weigh - i.e are you a big guy or small?  Sorry to ask, and I appreciate if you don't want to say but I am trying to establish whether shedding a few stone myself would give me a better range?  Email me privately if you like.  Thanks.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #24 on: 27, October, 2009 - 14:42:55 »
OK, now I could say 12 stone, but those who have met me, would soon question my reply  :D, so  I have just checked and I am 14st and 9lbs.

Retro Andy.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #25 on: 27, October, 2009 - 14:50:21 »
Yes that's my problem, I'm almost 18 stone, although I'm really tall as well, so have my knees almost under my chin when I'm pedalling, yet still manage to have the motor load led's on orange or green!  I'm sure if I did something about it, I could get a better range.  I'll have to do what the guy did at the beginning of 'Saw 6'!
« Last Edit: 27, October, 2009 - 21:00:55 by mike7201 »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 27, October, 2009 - 18:20:30 »
I wobble around 12.11 to 13.4 depending on whether I have been good or not.  Your going to have to pedal a little more !

Think of all that good exercise...

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #27 on: 28, October, 2009 - 07:49:39 »
OK, I did'nt use Charlie yesterday in the end, but I'm useing it today, still got one red light but no beeps yet, although I do pedal a lot, I dont release the juice button, pedaling is just for assistance and better dare I say "speed"  :D

Retro Andy.   

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #28 on: 29, October, 2009 - 07:37:05 »
Finally ran out of power on the way home last night, about half way home, I have worked out I covered approx 18/19 miles altogether which I think was really good, you do notice when its getting low on battery power, as I was was having to pedal more to keep to my normal speed, the beeps went off and then it was all over.

Retro Andy.
« Last Edit: 30, October, 2009 - 05:51:52 by Retro Andy »

Karl

« Reply #29 on: 29, October, 2009 - 13:39:50 »
That is still an impressive range though mate.

Superb  8)
« Last Edit: 30, October, 2009 - 12:50:35 by BooBoo »