News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Front brake blocks - rubber coming away  (Read 3318 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Front brake blocks - rubber coming away
« on: 21, October, 2012 - 20:31:37 »
Im having a few issues with the rubber on the front brake blocks breaking away from the metal plate under heavy braking (I go down a few steep hills, so it can't be avoided).
The blocks last a couple of runs out, then come apart, no matter what types I try.

Short of buying one of Chas's rear disc brake kits (which I'd love, but can't source a metal plate or find anyone to weld a bracket on at the moment), Or doing a "Flintstones" does anyone have any ideas on options?
I'm having to brake mainly with the front, as if I just brake with the back brake I'll never stop :o (plus the rear end steps out under braking due to only braking on one wheel)

Cheers!

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Front brake blocks - rubber coming away
« Reply #1 on: 22, October, 2012 - 08:44:53 »
Hi have you tried a metal wheel for the front ....

Offline mhurt

« Reply #2 on: 22, October, 2012 - 09:03:36 »
Yup, it has a metal front wheel, but the rubber is sheering away on the brake blocks.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 22, October, 2012 - 09:48:20 »
Don't let the speed build up so much in the first place. I live on a steep hill(first gear in a car) yet manage to stop in control by knowing the limit of the brakes.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #4 on: 22, October, 2012 - 12:24:58 »
It's not so much speed building up, but keeping it from building up in the first place, then braking for junctions, traffic, pedestrians etc.
Since my back cable snapped as I was coming up to an extremely busy roundabout, I've been very cautious with braking.

I do have to do a right turn onto a hill at a reasonable speed, as it's a busy junction, so I'm slowing down as soon as I get over that as that leads onto the roundabout already mentioned, but that cant be avoided if I want to get across outside of 8pm-6am, but I'm certainly not flooring it. id say I was braking for about 150m or so, but the back brake won't stop me (it has pretty new shoes on and is as tight as possible without rubbing whilst riding).

Maybe the brake mechanism is at the wrong angle or something, putting more stress on the blocks?

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 23, October, 2012 - 10:37:41 »
Are the brake blocks aligned exactly at 90 degrees to the radian through the centre of the block mounting bolt? If not, shear forces will be acting at an angle rather than along the entire length of the rubber/backing interface.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #6 on: 23, October, 2012 - 11:22:48 »
I'm about to fit another set today, so I'll double check that they are. Pretty sure the last ones were too though.