News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: How to get decals to stick?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
How to get decals to stick?
« on: 26, November, 2012 - 16:00:43 »
Hello all

I have been trying to stick the c5 alive side high vis decals but after a couple of weeks they have come loose and dropped off in parts!

Another set required I think!!  I was wondering what prep you would do to the surface before sticking them?

The plastic is very smooth where they attach, should I wet and dry it to give it a better chance?

Should I be using a specific degreaser?

Look forward to hearing your ideas and or experiences. 

Thanks

Simon

Offline Phoenix

• www.PhoenixDriving.org
  • Battery level: 3
  • I love my C5
    • Driving lessons Cirencester and Cheltenham
Re: How to get decals to stick?
« Reply #1 on: 26, November, 2012 - 17:35:39 »
When I did mine I gave it a really good clean, with car shampoo then made sure it was dry, cut them to size stuck them on and pressed hard, and they have been fine.

Hope this helps

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #2 on: 26, November, 2012 - 18:00:19 »
If your sticking them where they are meant to go ( which it sounds like you are ) then like Phoenix says, a good clean should certainly help.

It's only when trying to stick stickers / decals etc to parts that arn't meant to have them - ie the rougher part of the body ( so most of it  ;D ) that you will have problems.

Daz

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 28, November, 2012 - 21:31:24 »
I tend to jetwash the old stickers off as part of the refurb process so sticking new decals on tends to be quite straightforward after thebodyshell has been scrubbed and rinsed several times.

The side stripes supplied are meant for HGV's etc and designed for extreme outdoors use so if properly applied should last well. I experimented by fitting some offcuts to my XJ900 'bike that was used for a daily 70mile commute in all weathers and they stood up to the abuse well.

As with any decal , to achieve a good bond then cleanliness of the surface it is being applied to is everything - even too much grease off your fingers when manipulating the stripe can make a difference. 

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #4 on: 30, November, 2012 - 08:35:24 »
Like everyone says, make sure area is clean, but what enviroment are you doing it in as if to cold again the glue does not stick properly.
Sometimes I use the wife's hair dryer to help warm the stickers up and the surface the sticker are going on to.

Lance

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 30, November, 2012 - 13:02:16 »
The C5 assembly notes state to clean the sticker areas with isopropanol.