News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: OK now a new problem: clickclickclick: Drive belt slipping  (Read 5617 times)

Durango2k

OK now a new problem: clickclickclick: Drive belt slipping
« on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:29:19 »
Hi all,

I tried to drive it - but whenever I put a load on the motor, I hear a sharp ripping, clicking noise. Frightening !

I took the left wheel of, and replaced the drive belt with a new one. A little better, but not solved. Still in corners or when slow- clickclick.

I read through the internet, and found that Sinclair did put a metal bracket on the edge. I have that fitted, but it's loose.

What should I try next- put some credit card plastic into the mounting to lift the small toothweel ? Bend the bracket ? I have no idea how the bracket really works.

Actually, the belt is not 100% sitting on the motor toothwheel. There are 2 or 3 mm not

Durango2k

Re: OK now a new problem: clickclickclick: Drive belt slipping
« Reply #1 on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:30:32 »
on the wheel. I tried to push the motor further outwards, but there's a notch keeping me from doing so.

Ideas ? Please :-)

I'll drive with it / in it to my work, tomorrow. I hope I arrive :-)

Carsten

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:34:16 »
This should help - assuming your belt and gearbox are in good order, then it is just a case of poperly setting it all up.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=270.0

Durango2k

« Reply #3 on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:46:54 »
Hm, it may be my english. But it seems I don't understand what I should do next:

a) bending the bracket ? WHAT IS ITS PURPOSE- if I understand it it stabilizes the lower plastic part of the mount ?

b) why is my belt not riding 100% on the small wheel ?

c) why did they not put in a screw to adjust tightness ?

d) why a belt and not a proper CHAIN ?

Carsten

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, September, 2009 - 19:52:26 »
If you have a motor mount mod bracket, it does sometimes require a bit of bending/shaping to ensure a tight fit so that it does its job properly. If it's too loose and falls off then it isnt worth having it  :)

If you dont have motor mount bracket, use a strong cable tie.

A small amount of belt "drift" is common - as long as it doesnt continue to work its way off, everything should be fine. Some gearboxes are fitted with longer final drive cogs to compensate for this, plus fitting a wider belt also helps. If the cog is worn it usually tapers off at the end causing the belt to work its way off.

....as for (c) and (d)  , who knows ? Maybe cost of manufacture and/or design  ???
« Last Edit: 27, September, 2009 - 19:54:21 by BooBoo »

Durango2k

« Reply #5 on: 27, September, 2009 - 21:13:47 »
Hi,

my C5 is essentially "new", it only stood for ages, not being driven.
It did NOT do this the last trial days, only today, suddenly.

I found something about the "pipe" inside the wheel, which is egalized with shims / washers. I now understand that the big toothweel can move left-right, so I am gonna stop that first.

Then, I learned that I have to rotate the motor cause it is an elliptic mount. So I need to turn it, to tighten the belt a bit more.

'nuff said, I think I can't do better but to go down and WORK on it :-)

Carsten

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 28, September, 2009 - 08:15:05 »
Top stuff   :)

Let us know how you get on - I am confident you will succeed  8)

Durango2k

« Reply #7 on: 28, September, 2009 - 20:35:43 »
All,

I DROVE it to work. I managed to stop clicking by pedaling a bit more, so it worked for me. All my colleagues wanted to see it, my CEO even tried it. Huge fun it was.

Did not look further, had no time and when I found the time I was / am tired and it's dark outside.

So, I'll simply drive it again tomorrow and hopefully I have more time tomorrow....

Carsten

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #8 on: 29, September, 2009 - 14:19:40 »
Glad to hear you have driven your c5 :) it's a good feeling !

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #9 on: 30, September, 2009 - 08:25:34 »
I use mine to go too work some days, just wished I could go a bit faster, I would really enjoy overtaking a few carson the way.

Retro Andy. 

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #10 on: 30, September, 2009 - 08:47:03 »
I have had a bit of belt slip from time to time, I guess its just one of them things that you first struggle with, then once you get your head around it - you can fix it.  My problem was the gearbox dropping off the fence every now and again.  I used a cable tie to hold the fence back and it's been OK ever since.