News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Control Box Stuck Shut  (Read 3755 times)

dave

Control Box Stuck Shut
« on: 26, October, 2009 - 22:29:35 »
Hi All, I'm having trouble getting into the control box on my C5. I've never owned a C5 before so I'm completely new to it all. One part of the plastic panel covering the control box came off ok to expose by far the cleanest part of the C5! The other half wont budge, apart from at one end. There are a couple of small, round marks along the join in the plastic at the end that won't open - are the two parts melted together at points along the join or could it just be where bits have snapped off? All screws are removed but I don't want to force it open, in case there's something that I'm missing and I end up breaking it. Is there a technique for getting into these things? Any advice much appreciated! Cheers for now, Dave  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Control Box Stuck Shut
« Reply #1 on: 27, October, 2009 - 07:26:49 »
Its been a while since I have had mine apart, but I'm sure I only had to remove the screws and the cover came off ok.

Retro Andy.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 27, October, 2009 - 07:55:18 »
Hi there to get into the control box you will have to force open the box where the plastic has been melted (welded together ) .This was the method they used to seal the box .It`s quiet easy when you need to reseal the box just use some self tapping screws ..(PS why do you need to get in the box) .The small screws around the lid give you access to the connections/fuses

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 27, October, 2009 - 11:23:28 »
Hi Dave - like Chas says, there isn't normally much need to get into the lower half of the control box so I'm guessing you've got some major snags with yours  :-\

C5martin does a bench test service that may be of use ?

dave

« Reply #4 on: 28, October, 2009 - 16:37:19 »
Thanks all for your replies! I won't break into the box then, I just wanted to see what state it was in but the half that opens looks to be in great condition - I'll leave it alone. I do have some major snags with my C5, for example, no battery, broken chain, no inner tubes, perished tyres, missing handle bar cover, hole in the floor by my left foot, missing front left indicator, lots of rust, some wires cut and a junction block used to join others - surely not originally joined like that? And so on... Cheers for now, Dave  :)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 28, October, 2009 - 16:47:10 »
Sounds like you have some work on there Dave, on the bright side the satisfaction of restoring it will me awesome.