News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: using a c5 with no ctrl box or pod  (Read 5341 times)

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
using a c5 with no ctrl box or pod
« on: 27, October, 2009 - 18:16:00 »
i know this is poss but i would like to be able to run my c5 with out the box or pod for a short while until i can get the funds to buy benniz pod and box can anyone tell me how to do this please getting proper withdrawl symptoms now

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: using a c5 with no ctrl box or pod
« Reply #1 on: 27, October, 2009 - 18:28:58 »
Hi Alan,

You can use the c5 via a relay and micro switch and not bother with the pod and control box, doing so will mean you wont have any motor or battery protection.

I have not done it myself but I have seen it done on another C5 and seems to work well.

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #2 on: 27, October, 2009 - 18:32:12 »
how do i wire it up yada yada
what type of relay what microswitch i have a new plan for pod so  watch this space

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 28, October, 2009 - 20:50:24 »
Well I have sketched a very basic diagram that I think will work, but I don't recommend anyone use it without checking it out first. I know this is not done using the correct symbols either, and remember I have NOT done this on a C5 for real.

You can use the microswitch that's on the C5.

Here's how the circuit works....

Power comes from the battery and enters the relay from the + the relay is open circuit so the motor does not work.  When you press the microswitch it powers a small coil in the relay that operates a contact breaker, this completes the circuit to the motor on the positive side and the motor runs.  Letting go of the microswitch brakes the power to the coil which in turn opens the contacts in the relay and stops the flow to the motor.

You need to do this because the microswitch will 'weld' its self on with the high current the motor draws.

If the diagram is wrong - someone please tell me and I'll change it.

You can use the red relay from the control box, I think the ones that the C5alive wiring kit uses will also be OK.  You might be able to use a standard 70amp relay best if someone else answerer's that.

« Last Edit: 04, June, 2010 - 06:52:01 by Umpa »

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #4 on: 29, October, 2009 - 16:17:24 »
cheers mate will let you know how it goes
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 29, October, 2009 - 18:53:02 »
A small number of the very last C5's to leave the factory had a relay set up fitted when they ran out of pods & control boxes.

A copy of this set-up is fitted to my furry C5 (aka "Malcolm") , I'll take some piccies of it next week .

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #6 on: 29, October, 2009 - 19:42:24 »
cheers mate it would be helpful

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #7 on: 29, October, 2009 - 21:46:12 »
i'm new to the C5 scene and learing, as yet don't own one.

if going to 'direct' wire route to the motor without the sensing and auto cut outs enabled, is it advisable to fit a battery isolator switch (appx £12 off Ebay), somewhere you can reach it, while seated for safety reasons i.e. just i case the relay contacts do fuse?

if the pod is bit out of range are those quad motor controllers any use as replacement?

regs
alan

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 30, October, 2009 - 09:20:24 »
Very good point Alan.  I did not include an isolator (and I should have) in the diagram. It would be very easy to retro fit one though.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #9 on: 30, October, 2009 - 16:57:56 »
Very good point Alan.  I did not include an isolator (and I should have) in the diagram. It would be very easy to retro fit one though.

i did spot yours and that 'naked hoody hooligan Kurk' trying to switch it off while you were riding it ;D

regs
alan

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #10 on: 02, November, 2009 - 09:40:14 »
i will just disconect the bat i have had it happen before what about these quad controlers