News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Converting Turn Indicators To LEDs  (Read 3275 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Converting Turn Indicators To LEDs
« on: 10, October, 2012 - 14:01:02 »
Hi,

has anyone converted, or fitted turn indicators to use LEDs? If yes how did you complete the conversion/fitting.

The reason I ask is the problems involved with the original flasher unit and wiring.

Cheers. KarlG.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
Re: Converting Turn Indicators To LEDs
« Reply #1 on: 10, October, 2012 - 15:23:47 »
Hi there to use LEDS for the indicators you will need to fit load resistors to make them work ...

Also I can run you through the installing of the indicators just ring me ...Email sent

Offline KarlG

« Reply #2 on: 11, October, 2012 - 14:37:34 »
Hi Chas,

many thanks for the chin wag, hope I didn't bend your ear too much.  :D :D

As I mentioned I'm fishing, not phishing, for any good ideas concering a system for LEDs.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 11, October, 2012 - 15:25:08 »
Ok no problem any time ..Bye Chas

Offline KarlG

« Reply #4 on: 02, November, 2012 - 15:02:53 »
Anyone who would like to convert their indicators for use with LEDs this may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-2-PIN-FLASHER-RELAY-FOR-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-SINGNAL-LED-INDICATORS-NEW-L35-/251101618174?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a76d29ffe

In the event the link is no longer valid. Title is in the link, dealer is UKelectronicstore, and price with P&P is/was £5.49.

The unit is not electro-mechanical but full electronic. Advantage is no ballast resistors required, and constant blink rate regardless of current consumed. Disadvantage is the unit is poled and must be connected the right way round, no max current quoted by dealer. The one that I bought is blue but I did see some in eBay.de that were other colours.

One small point for those of you who are not well conversed in electronics, LEDs can be connected in series or parallel. If connected in parallel each LED requires a ballast resistor, value depending on the current required by the LED. LEDs can be connected in series, this eliminates the ballast resistors. The number of LEDs to be connected in series for 12 volts depends on the voltage drop of each LED (check when buying). E.g. with a 2 volt drop you would require 6 LEDs, with a 3 volt drop only 4. The voltage drop over the unit is at the moment unknown, but this drop must also be taken into consideration when selecting the number of LEDs for use in the parallel mode.

EDIT: For those of you who have an original indicator set, there are LED bulbs available for both the original C5 flasher and LED flasher units. If these bulbs are bright enough for indicator use I have no idea as I have no details concerning the original bulbs.
« Last Edit: 02, November, 2012 - 15:44:54 by KarlG »