News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: How well do C5's and water mix ?????  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Ant

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
How well do C5's and water mix ?????
« on: 29, April, 2012 - 19:06:42 »
Hi everybody,

I'm sure to an extent the question I'm about to ask is quite self explanatory but here goes.

I got my C5 yesterday (big thanks to Karl), but it literally hasn't stopped raining where i live for a week, i don't have my battery yet but I'm still dying to get out and just have a good pedal around but every pavement near my house is covered in large puddles,some ankle deep,

So my question is whats the recommendation on riding around in very wet weather ???? my worry is that im going to get water into something that i shouldn't and do my C5 some damage before i even get power into it.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ant.     

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: How well do C5's and water mix ?????
« Reply #1 on: 29, April, 2012 - 19:11:33 »
I've driven mine in the rain several times and ,whilst it wasn't really fun, no damage was caused to the C5.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #2 on: 29, April, 2012 - 19:28:29 »
Hi Ant,

The C5 was intended to be used in all weathers but you have to remember that they are 27 years old. The main two components are the POD and the Control Box that incorperate the electronics.

The POD is fairly weatherproof except the small holes at the back (speaker / buzzer outlet). If it has not been tampered with there should be a rubber seal around it. The main entrance of water is via the pins / socket at the back of the POD for the 10 core red cable. This should have the rubber housing around it to seal it.

The control box is the most vulnerable as it is underneath so not recommended to be sub-merged in large puddles or small streams. The control box is sealed around by a rubber seal and again if its had any work this could be damaged or lost. The entrance to the control bax via the cables there should be a foam seal with 4 access holes for the cables which is NOT water tight.

My suggestion is is ok for light rain getting home or for a short ride around but stay away from using it as a submarine.

Hope this helps

Lance

Offline Ant

« Reply #3 on: 29, April, 2012 - 20:00:42 »
Ha Ha great advice and info Lancealot thanks, that was actually my main concern (control box) the rains actually stopped now and surprisingly the suns shining, think Ill just hold off for now, the battery arrives tomorrow and hopefully everything should have dried up.

Cant wait to for that first run around im 31 and i feel like a kid on christmas eve.

Thanks 

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: 29, April, 2012 - 20:03:12 »
Also Ive just realized i keep posting in the "welcome to the forum" section I'll go to the chat room from now on !!!!

Sorry.

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 30, April, 2012 - 08:52:30 »
I remember on that old C5 PR video they drove one through that big water dip at MIRA.