News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Just got a C5 in Iowa USA  (Read 5016 times)

Offline trseven

• Battery level: 0
Just got a C5 in Iowa USA
« on: 14, June, 2012 - 02:52:59 »
I'm helping a friend fix his early Prius with a bad battery pack and he gave me a C5.  Down side is its been sitting and before he got it someone stripped out all the electric components except the lights.  Also its missing the left rear wheel!  (what is my chance in finding one?)  I can't even try it out with the pedals.  The boot is missing too. 

Funny thing is that I'm into British cars.  I own a Triumph TR7 (not a real success either but fun to drive).  Owned but no longer have a GT6 and Spitfire.  Can't wait to fix the C5 up and take it to our club's fall car show!

Gerry

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Just got a C5 in Iowa USA
« Reply #1 on: 14, June, 2012 - 06:42:23 »
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone on here can sort out the parts you need, would like to see some pictures of the progress.

Retro Andy.

Offline trseven

« Reply #2 on: 14, June, 2012 - 07:26:19 »
Here's what I'm starting with!  The body survived a pretty good hail storm (before I got it)  But it broke the headlight, one side light, and a corner off of the tail light.  Oh, and the mirror too.  I don't think I'll go with the original drive.  I'll probably have enough trouble getting the body parts I'm missing!

Thanks!
Gerry

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 14, June, 2012 - 08:32:47 »
I've seen worse  ;)

Your biggest headache is being the wrong side of the pond as far as shipping costs , otherwise it would be quite a straightforward rebuild. Obtaining a replacement front headlight can be a bit expensive as they are getting quite rare so the price is climbing accordingly.

From the photo's I think you would need the following if you wanted to restore it to original spec ;

Boot & boot lock (..you might call it a trunk  ;D )
Control box
wiring loom
Motor & gearbox
drive belt
Rear Wheel , cover and centre cap
Pod & missing pod pin
Pod wiring loom
tube to hold wiring loom (inside of legshield)
bulb holder and cover for rear of the front headlight
front & rear lights
front wheel cover

You've also got a mirror bracket fitted , you'd probably be better of just removing it rather than trying to source replacement mirrors and an additional bracket as mirrors are getting very expensive as well.
Underneath you might want to check and see if a chain tensioner is fitted ?
The damaged indicator lens is a problem in that indicator kits are seriously expensive and very rare .

I have pretty much all of the stuff available so let me know what items you want from the list and we'll see what we can sort out. Probably best to email me  :)
« Last Edit: 14, June, 2012 - 08:35:54 by BooBoo »

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 14, June, 2012 - 09:10:16 »
Hello and welcome! Looks like a good project there. I fancied a TR7 myself but ended up going for an MGB. The GT6 is a lovely machine too. Have you got the slant four in or a v8?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 14, June, 2012 - 16:01:11 »
Looks like a nice little project, good luck with it.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 14, June, 2012 - 16:11:03 »
Hi and welcome - good luck with the re-build - keep the photo's coming - just out of interest what does the plaque say that is rivet to the center tunnel ?

Marty

Offline trseven

« Reply #7 on: 14, June, 2012 - 17:15:15 »
Thanks everyone.  The TR7 still has the slant 4 in it.  I have rebuilt it with euro spec pistons, a cam, and side draft carbs.  So it does go pretty good for a TR7.  Needs a paint job though. 

As for the plaque, I couldn't imagine actually thinking about doing it though.  Probably there for liability reasons! 

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #8 on: 14, June, 2012 - 18:06:06 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you look at getting a motor/gearbox and go with a relay and your own wiring loom. you also have indicators so it quite a good find. How are you with that type of thing.

Lance

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 14, June, 2012 - 18:29:47 »
Welcome to the site any help needed just ask . bye Chas

Offline steve_1360

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #10 on: 14, June, 2012 - 22:03:47 »
Hi Gerry, good choice with TR7, I think its a very underrated car. Yours sounds like mine, runs well but needs some paint  :)

Good luck sorting out the C5, another underrated british vehicle  8)