News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Why aren't we using lithium batteries?  (Read 6312 times)

Nitrowing

Why aren't we using lithium batteries?
« on: 21, April, 2009 - 13:13:26 »
Do lithium batteries not offer better power to weight? Is the cost of 12Vdc 80Amps worth of lithium battery prohibitive?  ???

EDIT
http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF-12v.htm

£1000 !!!!  :o  :o

OMG!
« Last Edit: 21, April, 2009 - 13:55:35 by Nitrowing »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Why aren't we using lithium batteries?
« Reply #1 on: 21, April, 2009 - 14:21:26 »
Hi,

Yes I understand the cost is a major factor, as well as a need to carfully control the charging and cooling of the battery.

I would imagin in a few years they will be used in electic cars but my guess is not in a C5 in any great numbers.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 21, April, 2009 - 15:16:09 »
Must admit , the weight saving and extended range would be nice  8), but Li-ion are too expensive and too fragile for my liking.

I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on my C5's  :-\

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 21, April, 2009 - 17:50:12 »
Karl,

There is a new Li PO4 thing in that link, but it's 930 quid with charger. This might sound daft but if we all got one they might be a lot cheaper. 

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 21, April, 2009 - 20:51:25 »
I'm not doubting they are an excellent way to power a C5, but for me it's all down to basic economics  :-\.

As an example those old Drivemaster lead/acid type 063 batteries I obtained in May 2007 were left over from the London/Brighton run. At the time they cost about £30 each and have been used to power my C5's on every meeting since then , as well as other events like the gadget show at Bruntingthorpe etc. I've charged them using either converted Sinclair chargers, or a standard Halfords car battery charger. Nothing special, or expensive , required. They've now died but I feel I've had my monies worth  :)

If I had loads of cash to spare then yes, I would be first in the queue for lithium, but until then I'll stick to car batteries  ;).

waran2005

« Reply #5 on: 22, April, 2009 - 10:07:17 »
hello
      My experience of littium batteries from model helicopter use is yes they are usually double the capacity of similar sized nicad batteries but they bring a whole new set of problems. The rumours are that if faulty, physically damaged or charged incorrectly then the packs can swell up like a ballon or catch fire while charging? I have never experienced this, the only problem,s I had is if they are over discharged then they can be damaged to the extent they will not charge.
     The other issue with them is that they all have a certain maximum discharge rate, (C rating) the more expensive the battery then the better the discharge rate. I had a helicopter with 1000ma lipo pack that refused to take of but when I replaced the battery to a more expensive version (same capacity) it was a vast improvement and the helicopter flew with ease.
    To me they are still to expensive and unreliable. Anyone used nicads to power a C5?

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #6 on: 22, April, 2009 - 11:25:52 »
hello
      My experience of littium batteries from model helicopter use is yes they are usually double the capacity of similar sized nicad batteries but they bring a whole new set of problems. The rumours are that if faulty, physically damaged or charged incorrectly then the packs can swell up like a ballon or catch fire while charging? I have never experienced this, the only problem,s I had is if they are over discharged then they can be damaged to the extent they will not charge.
     The other issue with them is that they all have a certain maximum discharge rate, (C rating) the more expensive the battery then the better the discharge rate. I had a helicopter with 1000ma lipo pack that refused to take of but when I replaced the battery to a more expensive version (same capacity) it was a vast improvement and the helicopter flew with ease.
    To me they are still to expensive and unreliable. Anyone used nicads to power a C5?

I'm with you dude the lipos that some of the racers use at my touring car club can and do regularly burst into flame or bubble up due to them being discharged at a high amp rate or poor care or crash damage. The performance of them is great if treated with kids gloves but the amount of cells needed to make a c5 pack is just to expensive and the amount of care you have to take just outweighs the advantages of them IMO. Ive looked into making a NI-MH pack which is what i use in my touring car and the cost of that is still £180 just for the cells and that would only make a 40ah pack which would be a bitch to take care of and ballance each cell! Ive kind of resided myself to the fact that the current option of car/leisure batts are the only real affordable option. If you can afford it dry cell/gel golf buggy batterys are a good option but to buy new they are expensive compaired to car batts and you need more than 1 of them to make up for the loss in ampage. And thats why I dont use lithium batterys!