News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: POD lights are all on  (Read 4597 times)

biker550_uk

POD lights are all on
« on: 19, February, 2011 - 09:14:03 »
The POd was in good working order until a reverse polarity problem which took out R21 which ive replaced with a 10r. It also took out also D1 and the 2r2 in the control box. All replaced and working.  Ive also soldered all dry joints and fully cleaned the connections.

Its left the problem of all lights on both sides fully light up.  To be fair the battery side should be right up as the battery is fully charged but the other side should not.  Any POD experts out there with any idea's before i go in with my multimeter?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: POD lights are all on
« Reply #1 on: 19, February, 2011 - 09:22:12 »
Hi there do you have a spare pod to test the controlbox ....I think you still have problems with the c/box ....There are sections on the forum ,Check them out first ..

biker550_uk

« Reply #2 on: 19, February, 2011 - 09:31:04 »
this is my problem, I new to the world of the C5 and I currently have no parts for elimination.  I have been measuring voltages etc etc... I think I need to eliminate one end or the other as I'm going round in circles.  I think Ive been through most of the test procedures on the forum.  I go through it most nights to see what i might have missed.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 19, February, 2011 - 12:59:41 »
Hi again.

I agree with Chas, that your problem is still somewhere in the Control Box, and i would still be looking around the Op amp or that ZTX449. I would change the 449 first and check it to see how if worked.

If you haven't got sorted by next weekend (27th), i will be in Rainham Kent attending a ham radio rally / electronics junk sale thing. So can pop round with a spare working POD to assist in testing if want to borrow it.

Keep us updated, you will soon have it sorted !   ;D

Getting it up and running is all part of owning a C5  ::)

John

biker550_uk

« Reply #4 on: 19, February, 2011 - 13:12:59 »
Just so happens the listed equivalent the ztx 450 came through my  door this morning and the LM358 so that will probably be today's job. I am assuming that they would go in the same way as i take the old ones out as in the flat side of the transistor, as its listed as equivalent.   Your offer to help eliminate the POD would be very much appreciated I am only 5 or 10 Min's from Rainham.  Thanks yet again.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 19, February, 2011 - 13:26:01 »
Not sure on the pin outs on the 450, not seen anything to say it doesn't go in the same way.

I always replace the 358 with a socket before fitting, in case it needs to come out again for any reason, make life a bit easier.  ;)

Anyway good luck with it, fingers crossed ..  :)

biker550_uk

« Reply #6 on: 19, February, 2011 - 15:38:15 »
i have replaced both components now and still have the same fault... boo hoo... i did not have a ic holder and i had a look on eBay and could not find an 8 pin one.  Is the pod a fault indicator as well if so what does all lights on the left hand side mean?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #7 on: 19, February, 2011 - 15:51:38 »
Not sure what the fault is then .....   I have had similar with as i said before with the connector pins on the back of the POD,this gave the same fault.T he fact the C5 runs would indicate its not a major problem but is frustrating not to be able to sort it.

I will have a another look at the circuit later and let you know if inotice anything.

John

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #8 on: 19, February, 2011 - 15:53:40 »
Not sure but have you checked R21 and the pins around it in the pod ...bye Chas

biker550_uk

« Reply #9 on: 19, February, 2011 - 15:55:10 »
yes r21 (10r) was very black so i have replaced it. and yes cleaned all the pins.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #10 on: 19, February, 2011 - 16:04:36 »
Just a long shot have you checked the voltage on the 5 volt regulator in the pod, TR2.

As i say its a long shot, as if there was a problem here i would not expect the POD to light up at all.

John

biker550_uk

« Reply #11 on: 19, February, 2011 - 16:18:48 »
On TR2 it is 4.94v checking TR3 i have 12v and where it should be 5v it is only 3.2v ive also check continuity on all conector pins to their 1st point on the board.   I think i need a POD just to eliminate as i keep ending up back to the POD for the fault.
« Last Edit: 20, February, 2011 - 17:29:23 by biker550_uk »

biker550_uk

Solved problem
« Reply #12 on: 23, February, 2011 - 06:58:24 »
I think the problem is solved now as the lights seem to work.  We have only tested it quickly as will restest soon.  The fault was the 5v regulator in the POD TR3 which is a 78L05.  Just need to hopefully find the POD fault codes on this forum somewhere.  As we ended up with some flashing lights.

If this is fixed then I would  like the thank all who have helped out and if i can return the favour sometime I will.  If there is a C5 list of faults then I would place that one in the book for future reference.

Cheers.......Brian