News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Bearing issues  (Read 2739 times)

ScubaChris

Bearing issues
« on: 31, March, 2011 - 21:42:35 »
Just wondering if anyone can offer a little advice on a couple of issues here.

1) Just finished stripping, cleaning and greasing the front wheel hub & bearings. The small bearings (in plastic cages) looked ok but when I spin the wheel it runs pretty 'lumpy' as if the bearings are worn. Are replacements fairly easy to get hold of?

2) I tried to replace the uni-directional roller bearing in my main drive cog (the big white plastic cog). One of the rollers is missing and I have a new bearing to go in. I tried all sorts to get the old bearing out but it seems stuck fast and I can't get too heavy with it as there are a few worrying looking cracks in the cog which I don't want to make worse. Is there any special technique to getting them out? It looks like there's a wide bearing in between 2 narrower ones. I'm trying to replace the wide one.

Thanks!

C.

Karl

Re: Bearing issues
« Reply #1 on: 01, April, 2011 - 08:30:43 »
Chas (aka "c5 enthusiast & restorer") might be your man for both these queries , if he doesn't pick up on this topic I'd send him an email  :)

Although I've never had a snag with either of these so far, I'd also be interested in the reply  :)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 01, April, 2011 - 18:46:07 »
Hi there First of all the bearings in the front wheel They can be replaced as long as you use the plastic cage .
I can send you some bearings to replace the old ones ..Just email me your address.

Regarding the roller bearings in the large cog as far as I know the only way is to tap them out but as you said there are small cracks on the cog  (most of the cogs I`v seen have all got the same cracks)  So it`s up to you to carefulul ...By Chas

ScubaChris

« Reply #3 on: 01, April, 2011 - 22:24:31 »
That's great Chas, I've just sent you an email.  :)

Think I'll leave the old bearing in the drive cog and hope for the best. Knowing my luck I'll snap the cog in half and then have to find a replacement.  ;)

C.
« Last Edit: 01, April, 2011 - 22:34:16 by ScubaChris »