News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: C5 Wanted for restoration  (Read 12907 times)

waran2005

Re: C5 Wanted for restoration
« Reply #15 on: 20, April, 2009 - 08:30:28 »
Hello
      Had a go at trying to find out why the pod would not work and have now located the problem, the pod wiring loom plug is faulty, there is no 5 volt supply on pin 1. checked back in the control box and its OK that end. Bypassed the plug to try it and the pod lit up as normal, GREAT. So it seems a simple fix and is only a problem from where its been parked up for so many years.
     I think then the only thing wrong with my C5 when it was garaged was that the chain tensioner had fallen off and the battery may have been knackered. So perhaps those other ones may have been runners.
                   Thanks for your advice Karl, painted my chassis with the aid of my son so is not perfect but he thinks its great! Will definately post pictures later.
                      Waran

Karl

« Reply #16 on: 20, April, 2009 - 10:26:41 »
Great news, I love it when a neglected C5 is brought back to life - especially with a nice & simple cheap fix  8)

Keep up the good work mate  ;)

waran2005

« Reply #17 on: 27, April, 2009 - 10:44:34 »
Hello
      I have been very busy with my C5 and I have some pictures I would like to post. Can anyone tell me exactly how I am supposed to do this, I have uploaded them to photo bucket?
      Progress so far is good, the chassis is painted, changed the faulty plug for the instrument pod, rebuilt the motor and run for 30 minutes, appears to run very well. Most mechanical parts are ready to refit and it is now a rolling chassis thanks to the new tyres from Karl.
      The body has been cleaned mostly by the children, god they worked hard and to be honest there are quite a few marks but overall it looks pretty good, rust stains were the worst to remove.
      I bought some TAYA chain from the local iron mongers for £3.50 a pack, some bike shops wanted 8 to 9 pound for the same thing. All i need to do now is sort my chain tensioner out and source a battery and that hopefully that should be it.
     As soon as work out how to post pictures I will put some on.

Waran.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 27, April, 2009 - 16:22:23 »
Hi Warran,

Whet you do is go to your Album in PhotoBucket and hover your mouse over the picture you want to post, a drop down box will appear - select the bottom box labeled IMG Code - and copy the text in the box (ctrl & C) then simply paste the text into your post.
« Last Edit: 27, April, 2009 - 17:52:54 by Umpa »

waran2005

« Reply #19 on: 27, April, 2009 - 16:26:40 »
hello
      Thanks mate, I honestly had no idea how to do it, sounds simple, I will get those pictures posted ASAP. Thanks very much.

Waran.

waran2005

« Reply #20 on: 28, April, 2009 - 21:53:25 »
hello
    have a look at my pictures of work so far.

Karl

« Reply #21 on: 28, April, 2009 - 22:28:52 »
That is an outstanding effort mate , superb work  8)

Especially loving that chain tensioner mod  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #22 on: 28, April, 2009 - 22:59:32 »
That is looking so crisp, you have done your c5 proud, look forward to more pictures

Retro Andy

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #23 on: 29, April, 2009 - 17:04:08 »
Tell me please!!!!!!!
What did you paint your C5 with? That grey is a perfect colour, and due to slight misunderstanding...

After

Karl

« Reply #24 on: 29, April, 2009 - 17:25:47 »
..nothing wrong with painting it whatever colour you want mate, being a bit "unique" is no bad thing   :)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #25 on: 29, April, 2009 - 17:53:39 »
Karl, if you wanted to tho - what would the original colour be called ?

is it just grey primer or ???

waran2005

« Reply #26 on: 30, April, 2009 - 16:42:29 »
Hello
     I will have to confirm what color the paint was I used but I think it was ford olive grey, I may be wrong, I will check tonight. But be ware as some paints are two stage (base coat & primer).
     To be honest I think the halfords grey primer was a closer match to the original color but would then require a clear laquear coat to finish.
     As said before though you can paint it any colour you like, nobody really looks at it anyway. Halfords paint is pretty good stuff being acrilic you can paint it on anything.
     Took my C5 for a run up the street last night, went well and all appears to work fine, even the back break. The motor drive did start to slip eventually though, I will have to sort out that motor mod ASAP.
     I used a 038 car battery, cost me £25 pounds, had discount as my son works in motor world, any idea what sort of range I can expect from this.
     Thanks for all your constructive comments, more photos of finished C5 soon

Have fun, Waran.

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 30, April, 2009 - 17:54:08 »

I used a 038 car battery, cost me £25 pounds, had discount as my son works in motor world, any idea what sort of range I can expect from this.                     

I'd expect about 6-8 miles from an 038 , depending on the usual factors.

The belt shouldn't slip - especially if it's a new wider belt. Might be worth having another look at the setup.  Using the c5 with a slipping belt can cause additional wear on the gearbox drivecog, so it's really worth spending some time trying to get to the bottom of it.

waran2005

« Reply #28 on: 30, April, 2009 - 18:23:27 »
Hello Karl
       Had a look at while it was slipping and I could see that the motor support had popped out, I de-tensioned the motor and pushed it back in and it was OK again. Maybe I didn't have the belt correctly tesioned, apart from that it went well, I think that bracket modification is in order.
      Thanks for the response Karl, 6-8 miles, not bad, I can visit quite a few places near me with that sort of range and further afield if I pedal a bit. My chaine tensioner bracket seems to be holding up.

Waran.

waran2005

« Reply #29 on: 01, May, 2009 - 19:47:45 »
Hello
     Here are two pictures of my assembled C5. I will take a few more pictures of it outside my garage when its not raining.

Waran