News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Standard Gear Box with 16 Volt? (Because of Li-Ion)  (Read 7650 times)

Freedom666

Standard Gear Box with 16 Volt? (Because of Li-Ion)
« on: 18, May, 2010 - 13:13:28 »
Hello,

I am new to the forum.

I bought some days ago a Sinclair C5 and like it a lot.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sinclair-C5-Liegefahrad-Elektroantrieb-/180502111482?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrr%C3%A4der&hash=item2a06c3a4fa

Now I want to prepare it for regular use. So I have to put a functioning drive belt and some other items I will order at C5alive.

I'd like to know if the standard gearbox (for 12 Volt operation) can take 16 Volts. As i have some high-quality LI-Ion Batteries which have ususally 4x3,7 Volts=14,8 Volt  (and 4x4 Volts max.).

Will the gearbox function with 14,8 Volt (16 Volt max). Or would I have to change the gearbox?

Bye, Dragan from Germany

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Standard Gear Box with 16 Volt? (Because of Li-Ion)
« Reply #1 on: 18, May, 2010 - 13:33:29 »
Helo there welcome to the forum ....Regarding  the 16 volt I don't think it will make any difference at all but I would put a good fan on the motor to cool it down ..bye Chas

Freedom666

« Reply #2 on: 18, May, 2010 - 14:14:19 »
Hello Chas,

thanks for your prompt answer. This is good news.

The other choice would have been to take only three Li-Ions in series 3x3,7 Volts =11,1 or 12 Volt max. This would be a little bit low as some lead acid batteries have easily 13/14 Volts.

I ordered a fan from C5 alive, too. But I got only a automatic reply from Karl with no IBAN (international bank code) number for money transfer but with his adress at Sussex.

I have no cheques so I wonder if I can take the risk to send the money directly via letter.

Bye, Dragan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 18, May, 2010 - 14:23:17 »
Hi and welcome - I have heard that once you start going over 14v you risk damaging the electronics in the POD/Control box - I'm sure someone will post some more information soon but I would be careful.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 18, May, 2010 - 18:35:29 »
I think that Radiomarty is right 16volt is pushing it a bit if you are using the original control box and pod sorry about the last post ...

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 18, May, 2010 - 22:45:38 »

I ordered a fan from C5 alive, too. But I got only a automatic reply from Karl with no IBAN (international bank code) number for money transfer but with his adress at Sussex.

Bye, Dragan

I have replied mate, not to worry I will resend the email.

I'm sure we can sort something out  :)

Freedom666

« Reply #6 on: 19, May, 2010 - 00:04:54 »
Hi,

so its better to be on the safe side with 12 Volts. So I will try the three Li-Ion in series arrangement for the first. Maybe it is completly sufficient - because of the potential of Li-Ion.

For 16 Volt operation (not 24!) - would it be secure enough if I changed some parts in the box as described in the inofficial handbook?

Citation:
24 volt systems - with suitably specified components the C5 circuits can be used on a 24 volt system. Changes required are as follows:
Instrument pod
• C 12 - increase voltage rating
• R 17 - double to 94 KOhms for correct fuel gauge operation on a series connected pair of batteries.
Control box
• C2 - increase voltage rating
• IC1 - increase heat sink size
• Relay - add series resistor

Bye, Dragan

PS: Thanks in advance for re-sending the email.
At least if you had no bad experiences with cutstomers sending real money via letter I would take that risk. Its the easiest way. But let me know.

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 19, May, 2010 - 07:46:47 »
The changes to the control box and pod might not be as simple as suggested in the handbook, the reason I say this is because Adam Harper is the only person I know who provided a 24v c5 with the pod still functioning.

The c5alive 24v conversion did not use the pod or original control box at all, so I assume Chris (creator of c5alive) struggled with it. C5martin tried to keep the pod functional during the conversion and wasn't successful either.

By going the 16v route you will be entering uncharted waters - meaning your experiences will provide very useful info for the rest of us  8)

The gearbox will probably cope with 16v provided it is used sympathetically. I've managed to coax 18months out of a standard c5 gearbox on my 24v c5 "Voodoo", the controller was set to minimum. Even 12v c5's can trash a gearbox if abused - it is the heat caused by running under constant load that causes the destruction. The cogs soften,deform and then break up. Hence the Dragon technology gearbox experiment  :)

Freedom666

« Reply #8 on: 19, May, 2010 - 09:10:17 »
Hello,

my C5 has no pod any more. The C5 drives without the pod.

However I would have to control the voltage to prevent deep discharge - a friend of mine told me that this kind of pod can easily be purchased at electronic stores as a sole item.

I think I will try out the 16 Volt version - I will report if it works.

Bye

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 19, May, 2010 - 11:03:22 »
Hello,

my C5 has no pod any more. The C5 drives without the pod.

However I would have to control the voltage to prevent deep discharge - a friend of mine told me that this kind of pod can easily be purchased at electronic stores as a sole item.

I think I will try out the 16 Volt version - I will report if it works.

Bye

I look forward to the results of your experiments  8)

As Pods are very difficult to repair I am sure any alternative is worth looking at.

Good luck  :)

Freedom666

« Reply #10 on: 24, May, 2010 - 11:47:33 »
Hello,

my friend ordered special Li-Ion accumulators type LiFePo4. They will have the exact voltage like lead acid batteries and can be charged with lead acid chargers.

I will report when installed.

I bought another Sinclair C5 in mint condition. This one will be used by a relative of mine for short distances in her little town.

The other one without pod will be restored to function properly again for personal use.

Bye

• Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 24, May, 2010 - 12:54:30 »
Hi there Would like to see some photo's if possable ...ps I do have some old news paper cuttings about the C5 written in German ..If you would like to see them just give me your email address ...

Freedom666

« Reply #12 on: 25, May, 2010 - 10:39:44 »
Hello,

I bought this one in mint condition - that is great. But it has to be sent by spedition as it is too far away to take it by car.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280505921720&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My email adress is    &aktive% ATT adexa-online.de   (take out the special symbols)

Bye

• Millennium Member
« Reply #13 on: 25, May, 2010 - 12:26:26 »
Hi there not sure about your email address so here are the newspaper cuttings from Germany (not sure what they all are ...)

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 25, May, 2010 - 12:55:40 »
chas - if you want to email him ,click on the small envelope picture under his photo & it should open up an email message ready to send.