News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Another C5 rescued  (Read 4204 times)

lloydn

Another C5 rescued
« on: 04, July, 2010 - 12:30:31 »
Hi Everyone, I've just become the owner of a C5, and looking for parts to restore it is how I found this forum. I thought I'd post up some pictures about the C5 and see what you guys think.

I paid £20 for it! I think I got a pretty good deal. It was wasting away in someone's garden nearby to me, and my dad spotted it one day while on a walk. I made a little visit, and the next day I was buying the C5.

I've taken some pictures and I'm waiting on a crank removal tool to come through so I can lift the body off. Sorry for the quality, only have a cell phone camera at the moment.

C5

Original Books

Chassis

Crank

Handlebars

Pod

Rear Frame

Tensioner

Rotor

Rotor again

Brushes

Magnets

Plastic Covers

Serial Number

It's quite a bit scratched up, I was told it was for kid, who used it on his paper round. It has no key, but I may ask to see if there is one.
It has two original batteries, wired in parallel, each with a key switch, although only one battery cover. I think the batteries and charger are dead though.

A lot of the extra wiring has been severed unfortunately, including the motor temperature sensors, though they are still present. The motor did turn by hand, and I connected a 12V car battery which it spun with which is good. Haven't yet tested the electrics though. It looks okay inside, no burnt out resistors or blown fuses, etc.

Also, one rear inner tube has a puncture, and the tyres are okay, but getting old.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to faithfully restore it, or make it a little more fun with 24v and such. I'll almost definitely need to change the front wheel to steel.

The current plan is to clean up the body, clean the chassis, and paint along with any other components I can. Then fix the tensioner or get one of those ones that prevents the chain coming off. Replace the inner tube and brake pads on the front. That should get me a shell I can cycle around.

Then I need to test the electrics, replace the wiring that has been cut, and clean up the motor.

Can anyone comment on the state of the magnet housing? and also, those grooves on the armature, are they a serious problem? I've seen them on another motor thread on here.

Oh, another thing, the handlebars. I managed to get them off thanks to the helpful threads on here, but the motor switch is quite stiff, any ideas what to do about that except maybe some WD 40?

That's quite a long post, so I'll leave it there for now. All comments welcomed!

chrisbaildon

Re: Another C5 rescued
« Reply #1 on: 04, July, 2010 - 12:38:19 »
Great post & great pictures & great price - that is going to be some project to get that running. I look forward to the updates on your progress.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 04, July, 2010 - 12:47:08 »
Hi Lloydn - welcome to the forum - wow £20 you can't go wrong with that !!!! - Your magnet housing looks ok from the photo just check they are stuck well - the marks seem to be quite common in many motors. I can see your well into the strip down and do fine but if you do get stuck just ask - you will be up C5 grinning in no time. Good to see another saved C5 - I'm sure the rest of the gang will be along soon with lot's of tips.Maybe see you along on one of the run's - where about's in the country are you ?

Regards Radiomarty

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 04, July, 2010 - 13:23:19 »
Looking really good for £20 mate - I've seen alot worse being sold for a lot more money  :o

It seems to have come apart really well and most importantly, all those hard to get parts are there and undamaged - front wheel shroud,headlight etc

Fingers crossed it will be a straightforward project  8)

As for the wiring, why not go down the "relay" route to get you going ?
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0

Nice cheap fix and gets you mobile why you decide /save up for the 24v stuff. 

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #4 on: 05, July, 2010 - 09:19:44 »
Suggest you get the chassis soft media blasted or  chemically dipped as it appears to have more than just surface corrosion.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 05, July, 2010 - 11:52:53 »
Great post & great pictures & great price - that is going to be some project to get that running. I look forward to the updates on your progress.

Provided you have most of the bits and pieces, they do respond surprisingly well to a bit of restoration .

This one ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=814.msg6712#msg6712

...evolved into this ;

chrisbaildon

« Reply #6 on: 05, July, 2010 - 17:15:19 »

Provided you have most of the bits and pieces, they do respond surprisingly well to a bit of restoration .

This one ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=814.msg6712#msg6712

...evolved into this ;

Wow that is amazing

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 05, July, 2010 - 20:44:28 »
WOW £20.00 what a bargin, the accessories and owners handbook are worth that, welcome to the forum and keep the pictures of you progress coming, great stuff  :)

Retro Andy. 

lloydn

« Reply #8 on: 07, July, 2010 - 00:39:52 »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm in Seaford, East Sussex, just added that to my profile so it's easier for others to see. Unfortunately the C5 won't fit in my fiesta, so I'll have to have a look at other transport to get it to some meets when it's ready.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the relay kitt, I think I may have to go with that one, as I'm not having much luck with the electronics. Wil get the multimeter out tomorrow, but nothing lights up when I connect the control box and pod. I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to this, so advice welcomed.

The motor turns over though, which is good. Doesn't sound the smoothest unfortunately, but it runs. I cleaned it up a bit and greased it thoroughly. The inner ge*pardon my French*t is fairly smooth, but once it gets placed inside the outer gear (pinion gear?), it sounds a bit rough. I added lots of grease, so I guess that's as good as it will get.

I've had a go at the body with cif and a brush and toothbrush, and I'm impressed, it really does work well. The more major scratches will probably need something to smooth them down, but an other once over with cif or two should get it looking pretty good.

Also had a go at sanding the chassis. My dad had a drill attachment for sanding, which works pretty well, but both drill batteries ran out, so I'll be getting out the mains powered one tomorrow. Need to get some sand paper for the intricate bits too.

What would everyone recommend for protecting and rust proofing the chassis once I've sanded down? Reasonably cheaply hopefully, I don't mind redoing it in future when I have more cash.

More pictures tomorrow hopefully, I've procured a proper camera :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #9 on: 07, July, 2010 - 02:07:44 »
Hi there ...

Welcome to the forum ....

If the motor runs from the switch, and you have no display, then check the 5 volt regulator near the back wheel, these are about 65 p from maplins.
also near to that is resistor R1 that can some times go open circuit and stops the 12 volt getting to the regulator, which stops your 5 volt getting to your pod

I have had a similar problem on my control board and that was the culprit, everything on the control board is replaceable, not so with the POD, but see how you go, if you need a hand with anything just ask ...

John

PLOD11