News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Rear location frame/hoop  (Read 2953 times)

Offline jk

• Battery level: 1
Rear location frame/hoop
« on: 17, July, 2010 - 10:12:49 »
Gday,
I'm trying to work out if my rear location frame is bent. With the boot removed, the body and rear location frame are misaligned like this:

And these screw holes don't line up either, but they look as if they have been drilled by a previous owner:

This is how they all sit together once assembled:

My questions are:
1. Is it normal for the body to spring away from their locating holes on the frame as they do in the first picture?
2. Are the holes in the second picture standard?
3. If I was to make up some boot clips, do they fit on the outside of the location frame, or between the frame and body, inside that depression in the body?
Thanks for your help,
jason

Karl

Re: Rear location frame/hoop
« Reply #1 on: 17, July, 2010 - 19:06:53 »
Boot clips are always useful to have, they prevent the boot from being "ejected" when you hit a bump,pothole etc etc. Saves damage to the boot and/or contents, not to mention possible traffic problems if a car behind has to take evasive action  :o
This link to c5martins tech tips includes a piccie that might help;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=242.0
The round section of the boot should pass through both the rear arch of the bodyshell and the metal "arm" of the hoop. The clip then attaches into the allocated groove.

It is normal for the bodyshell to be screwed to the "hoop" section by those two screws, they are normally out of sight behind the rear light.

There will always be some misalignment between the bodyshell, "hoop" section and the boot - but it should be relatively easy to line everything up and make it fit. If you need to have the third shredded wheat to gain enough strength to force everything to fit, then something is not right. 

Offline jk

« Reply #2 on: 19, July, 2010 - 04:08:15 »
Thanks for that, one more question tho, do the 'arms' that are welded to the 'hoop' extend parallel to the chassis or are they both angled inwards towards the boot?
My 'arms' do one of each, and I can't work out which is correct.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 19, July, 2010 - 08:20:56 »
Hi there if you want any boot clips let me know your address and I will send you a pair FOC .
bye Chas

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #4 on: 19, July, 2010 - 10:44:35 »
I found replacement captive nuts for the rear light in stainless steel at my local car accessory shop packed as radio fixings.

Offline jk

« Reply #5 on: 19, July, 2010 - 13:41:01 »
lol, thanks Chas, but does that offer include postage to Australia? I'll just settle for a scanned image of one them so I can cut them out of some plastic I have laying around.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #6 on: 19, July, 2010 - 14:57:42 »
Hi Chas,
I would appreciate a pair of boot clips please.Have you got my address on file? Incidentally those 99p cooling fans arrived today;they are only 2.5" diameter but I am going to try to duct one to the rear of the motor via a plastic bottle.
Anthony

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 19, July, 2010 - 20:08:50 »
HI THERE TAKE A LOOK AT PHOTOS YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE BACK FRAME GOES

BYE CHAS