News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Control box/ecu ... diagram values  (Read 5872 times)

marra

Control box/ecu ... diagram values
« on: 20, July, 2010 - 14:51:59 »
Hi. I have just started to take apart my first c5 this morning as it was a non runner. I have used a relay with a start/stop switch to test the motor and so far it runs ok ( ish ). I have also opened the ecu/control box ( or whatever the tech term should be ) and found several resistors burned. I have had a look at the diagram, but could someone tell me where i could get the resistance / tolerance / power rating of all. several are burned so i cannot calculate the bands to check myself. Also there is an lm 342 or something, giving 5v. whats that for ?
   Also bought another c5 that i am collecting this weekend.I can see the c5 giving me years of fun. I want one for a full restoration and one to adapt and,,, well,,, MODIFY 8).
Any help would be great. thanks
Regards Craig.

Karl

Re: Control box/ecu ... diagram values
« Reply #1 on: 20, July, 2010 - 14:58:54 »
radiomarty or plod should be along soon to help you out with that  8)

some of the info should be in the unofficial handbook in the download section (there is also a link in the forum guide)

welcome to the c5alive forum

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 20, July, 2010 - 15:41:19 »
Hi there ....

Welcome to the world of C5 and the Forum...

You can find all the info you needin the download section and the circuit diags of both the POD and control box (thats under the seat) here.
  http://www.c5alive.co.uk/pub/downloads/C5-FIG-4updated.pdf

Everything except the ULA in the "POD" is still available or an equivelant can be found.

The 5 volt regulator  (lm 342)  feeds the POD, this can be replaced with a 7805 or similar.

Hope this all helps, if you need any more info or help with anything just ask, someone will know the answer  ....

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 20, July, 2010 - 16:17:58 »
Hi -as Plod say's the info you require is on the down load of the circuit diagram.Most have 5% tolerance 1/4 watt - if you get stuck post a photo of the circuit board and one of us will try and identifiy it for you.Good luck with that  :)

marra

« Reply #4 on: 20, July, 2010 - 17:30:09 »
Hi, R1 looks nasty. The bands give me 22ohms with a res of +/- 10%  (silver) . could you confirm the watts. thanks. Like i said im new to all this.
Regards Craig

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 20, July, 2010 - 17:36:30 »
Hi Craig R1 is a 2.2ohm 5% 1/4 watt (red,red,gold,gold) and is very often burnt out !!!

marra

« Reply #6 on: 20, July, 2010 - 17:51:46 »
The back of this one is red ,red, black, silver ,red. Think this may have been doctored at some time. R2= Gold, 3x reds. Im reading this as 2.2 with 5 % . From what i can see, i think someone has had a go. Also diode D1 is cracked in half... wow, think this board needs to be stripped and started again. Could you tell me the voltage rate on these, looking at Farnel for replacements.
« Last Edit: 20, July, 2010 - 18:27:20 by marra »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 20, July, 2010 - 18:59:14 »
Hi Craig - you can get 4,5 or 6 band colour code bands with slightly different colour coding for the same value so be careful.
For example 2.2ohm
4 band red, red ,gold, gold (5% TOL) or in your case
5 band red,red,black, silver, red (2% Tol)

R2 is a 2k2 and D1 is common IN5401 (quite often duff)

A useful ref. for converting colour codes

http://samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: 20, July, 2010 - 19:33:31 by radiomarty »

marra

« Reply #8 on: 20, July, 2010 - 19:48:09 »
Could you tell me the volts for resistors, looking on Farnels. Seems good on prices.
regards craig

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 20, July, 2010 - 20:17:14 »
I buy mine from Maplin (£0.17p)- the spec :

* Universal resistor with a superb specification
    * Can be used as a superior replacement wherever carbon film 1/4W, 1/3W or 1/2W are specified since it''s size is the same as 1/4W types
    * Can be run continuously at 0.6W with ambient temperatures up to 70°, thanks to the highly even thermal characteristics of the ceramic substrate
    * Superior replacement to most metal oxide and thick film resistors due to its very tight tolerance, ±1%, and its low temperature coefficient, only 50ppm
    * Working voltage max: 250V
    * Tolerance: 1%
    * Power rating: 0
    * 6W at 70°C
    * Temperature coefficient: 50ppm/°C
    * Noise level: Typically 0.01 V/V
    * Dimensions of body: 6
    * 5 (l) x 2
    * 5(dia)mm

marra

« Reply #10 on: 20, July, 2010 - 20:50:18 »
thanks for that, do you have a link ? Also is it the same spec for others. rattling my head at the moment as i cannot find my solder-mop :-\

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #11 on: 20, July, 2010 - 20:56:28 »
maplins part code M2R2

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member

marra

« Reply #13 on: 20, July, 2010 - 21:18:13 »
wow, you are star here. will be putting that in my cart or go to Maplins tomorrow. so R2 is the same as R4 ? Do you know if R1 was produced with different resistors ? Looking at the back it seems as if mine has already had a go on. As stated earlier R1 should be Red, Red, Gold, Gold , Correct ? I hope my second has a better box fitted  :-\ Should I purchase several, knowing my luck mine will be blowing again.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #14 on: 20, July, 2010 - 21:25:20 »
It is common for this to get burnt and then fail, not always in that order it can some times fail but look ok, only detected when the POD fails and and you put a meter across it.

R1 acts as a current limit to the 5 volt regulator, i have only ever replaced one on each of my C5s all the time i have had them and thats about 4 years, but then they dont get that much use really, but its always useful having spares, you never know when you might need one.

Plod11