News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Test Run  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Test Run
« on: 26, February, 2009 - 15:44:05 »
Ok so I get in the car, and do a lap of the village, this is my route. It's all up. Hill going and mostly downhill going back ( with a few rises).

So I trip the journey door to door at 2.3 miles. I put my battery on, which has been on charge all night. It has a safty charge full thing on it so you can't overcharge.

I put it on and it reads one light off full. I don't think it's getting a full charge you know! Anyhow I set off, did two laps nearon 5 miles (only a little peddling) it took me about 25 mine and battery still half full (in the orange).

Motor meter went into red but moslty in orange when I peddled.  I'm not convinced the stress meter is accurate bcause sometimes it would show orange even down hill. And other times green going up hill !  But I have gotten used to the motor sound and can tell when to give a it a hand.

After the near on 5 mile disaster. Belt slip. So I take off the boot and looks like the motor has slipped a bit, so I undo the nut, spin it back, repace the belt, this time it's hard to put back on again, and it's fixed ( Again) this needs looking at.

All in all a fun drive, any tips ?

Oh and also cornering at speed - I nearly crapped myself, wow !! Talk about fear.

Karl

Re: Test Run
« Reply #1 on: 26, February, 2009 - 18:47:57 »
...after such extensive restoration work your c5 will take a while to settle down again, then they just throw a random strop every now and then to keep you on your toes... :P

Your range sounds about right ,considering the terrain and cool weather conditions etc.

Keep having a go at sorting out the belt though, dont be tempted to leave it slipping as it can damage the drive cog on the end of the gearbox.

Also ,not wanting to scare you, it might be worth keeping an eye on that display - could be your pod developing a fault ?  Not a huge problem , we have several spares and Martin can always bench test them.

Glad you are back on the road mate  8)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 26, February, 2009 - 20:23:57 »
Thanks for that Karl,

Yes knowing you and Martin are there to help gives me a bit of reassurance & if I break something I can always buy a new part from you.

I reckon if the C5 had a bit more oomph up hills (tho its not bad) it would have been a success. Its only taken me 24 years to get my ass in one. 

Ive already mapped out the pot holes and the grates and such in the village lol

Do you have any handle bar foam ? - wheel nut covers ?

oh and can the C5 tip over while cornering ? - its a bit fierce.

blabblub

« Reply #3 on: 26, February, 2009 - 20:34:20 »
oh and can the C5 tip over while cornering ? - its a bit fierce.

Dont worry

Its never been known to happen !!!!

Blabblubububub
« Last Edit: 26, February, 2009 - 20:36:06 by blabblub »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 05, March, 2009 - 19:31:19 »
..at least this guy had a softer landing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBY7nTxyEas

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 06, March, 2009 - 06:15:53 »
Thats what i did when i played in the snow in mine, when it tipped up i manged to put my arm out and stop it going onto its side, i thought i was going to break my new mirrors.

Retro Andy 

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 06, March, 2009 - 19:33:50 »
I nearly tipped mine over today, turned a bit sharp and a rear wheal left the road. Scary !!!! - but I recovered it ok.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
C5 tipping over
« Reply #7 on: 28, July, 2010 - 09:29:23 »
Has anyone tried lower rear tyre pressures allowing more sidewall compliance to reduce the propensity to tipping even at the low speeds these things go at?.The trade off will be reduced range of course.

Karl

Re: C5 tipping over
« Reply #8 on: 28, July, 2010 - 11:40:52 »
Has anyone tried lower rear tyre pressures allowing more sidewall compliance to reduce the propensity to tipping even at the low speeds these things go at?.The trade off will be reduced range of course.

I've never experimented with lower tyre pressures - only the other way. Wizbat,C5martin and I all experimented with pressures up to 60+ psi.....

The end result was don't go beyond 40psi on the plastic wheels  ;D, although the steel front wheels can cope with the higher pressures much better.