News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Unhappy Chappie - chain snapped  (Read 5969 times)

Stuuu!

Unhappy Chappie - chain snapped
« on: 13, September, 2008 - 20:26:27 »
so here I was with best girl by my side  (in her own C5) and then my rear brake locks up and the chain breaks  :)

So...the question is...can anybody offer help as to replacing the chain and ideas on the brakes.

Oh! and I think I may be reguesting a good ol' service mr Administrator  ;D
« Last Edit: 13, September, 2008 - 22:06:00 by Stuuu! »

Karl

Re: Unhappy Chappie - chain snapped
« Reply #1 on: 13, September, 2008 - 23:01:46 »
hiya mate

You're welcome to pop down to the "pistop" and get your pride and joy sorted http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=215.0

As for the chain, we stopped selling them coz most people were happy with bike chains  ;)

Whats the snag with your brakes ?

Stuuu!

« Reply #2 on: 14, September, 2008 - 19:04:35 »

the rear brakes/wheel are grinding against each other.   Having removed the wheel, the brake pads appear to be function ok, but the wheel is sitting on top of them and thus causing it to rub.

One question, what parts should there be in the rear/brake wheel ie. bolts etc..? The service manual diagram is a bit unclear.

c5martin

« Reply #3 on: 14, September, 2008 - 20:13:23 »
Hi,
You should have two ball race bearings one on the inside and the other on the outside.
They fit into two silver cups that are located in your plastic brake wheel.
Fit bearings with the finger part going to the centre of the wheel.
On the axel is a cone shape in the centre of the brake assembly.
The bearings are adjusted by the cone nut that is fitted before the lock nut as you fit your wheel.
It sounds as though you are missing the inner ball race bearing.
I’m a bit sleepy got up early to do a car boot hope you can understand the above.
You can always give me a call number on C5ALIVE web

Stuuu!

« Reply #4 on: 15, September, 2008 - 17:26:28 »
Yep you're right. no bearings whatsoever!!!!!! (how the.....did that happen)
What size bearings wil I need to buy to get me on my way again?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 15, September, 2008 - 21:23:54 »
The bearings themselves are not a problem,they are standard bicycle stuff, it's the cages that hold them that are a real bugger to source.

If you have just the one cage ,you can get by - but its a bit of a snag if you dont have any at all.

Stuuu!

« Reply #6 on: 16, September, 2008 - 12:26:50 »
yeah, there's the problem. no cage, no bearings   :(

went down to halfords to try and source bearings but that was a mistake. I had a choice of chunky bearings, pretty small bearings and minuscule bearings all in cages. I thought they used to sell loose bearings!

Stuuu!

« Reply #7 on: 16, September, 2008 - 17:56:15 »
so...has anyone got a picture of how the bearing cage sits and the dimensions of it pretty please???????????

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 16, September, 2008 - 18:22:28 »
You should have an email coming through.. ;)

Stuuu!

« Reply #9 on: 16, September, 2008 - 18:51:30 »
Thanks Karl.

I will go away and find the next problem.  The lady wont let me take her C5 aprt to check things - I have been threatened with a fate worse than death lol

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 21, September, 2008 - 17:36:49 »
c5alive previously supplied replacement chains for c5's, but stopped because there didn't seem to be any demand for them.

I've experimented on a recently purchased C5 - best described as "in need of TLC". I fitted it with a cheap Halfords bike chain .

It's an improvement on the seized Sinclair chain , but will still slip slightly when put under pressure going uphill.

For normal use, it provides a cheap alternative but isn't really up to the job.

Next up, a heavy duty (more expensive) bike chain....if this isn't successful I will return to the previous supplier and see what the present costs are for a proper spec chain. This may lead to C5alive stocking replacement chains again.

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #11 on: 22, September, 2008 - 11:30:37 »
The old c5alive chains are really good quality compaired to the original sinclair chains and halfords/evans/whoevers project x has one and compaired to agro which has a standard sinclair one its a really smooth positive pedal drive they were never cheap (30 odd quidish) but are so much better!