News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: possibly C5 alternate motor kit?  (Read 4491 times)

taffypride

possibly C5 alternate motor kit?
« on: 20, November, 2008 - 20:46:06 »
I've been looking online through various electric conversion kits for bicycles, and I found a kit called Cyclone which comes in 2 different flavours - either a 350watt or a 500watt motor.  I've yet to find a company in the UK with a similar kit - and yes I know based on the specs of the kit they would technically make the C5 illegal on the road.

This comes with the brakes with a safety cut-off switch which shuts off the motor when you apply the brakes.

Now I'm thinking, technically the C5 is a trike so if we left the instrument pod (unwired) and removed the existing battery and motor/gearbox, could such a kit be a viable alternate for bringing a classic machine like the C5 into the 21st Century?

If so, would anyone have a good to moderate condition C5 (without the motor/gearbox or batteries) be prepared to sell it to me for a reasonable price (and I'd be happy to pay for it to be delivered)?

One concern would be regarding the rear axle and the rear wheels - can the wheels be replaced with normal bike steel wheels and if so what size; and if I changed to use bike wheels on the back, would the rear axle need replacing to cope with the increased power/heavier wheels?

Another thing I have found which may be of some use to people here is a Solar trickle charger to help keep the battery topped up from Solar Kits Direct which I would couple with the Cyclone kit.
« Last Edit: 22, November, 2008 - 14:44:13 by taffypride »

Karl

Re: possibly C5 alternate motor kit?
« Reply #1 on: 20, November, 2008 - 23:05:08 »
Hiya mate - and welcome to the forum

You need to speak with Spike - check out his superb creation

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

He built his own chassis and, as you can see from the piccies, has pretty much travelled the route you intend to go  8)

taffypride

« Reply #2 on: 21, November, 2008 - 19:01:04 »
but can a set of ordinary bicycle wheels be fitted on the rear instead of the original C5 wheels or would a custom axle have to be made?

I've emailed Spike to ask and I have also looked on Google but I can't find much info about building a rear axle for a trike....... ???

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 21, November, 2008 - 23:34:10 »
you would need to make a custom axle, the rear wheel fixings are unique to the C5

taffypride

« Reply #4 on: 22, November, 2008 - 14:39:02 »
hmmm.....might be a job for my local garage if I ask nicely and bribe them with digestive and rich tea biscuits......maybe a few gingernuts as well.  :D ;D

Was also considering while cycling home, about fitting a tow hitch to the back of the C5, and custom making a trailer (maybe fit it in with the design of the C5) and having multiple 24v 24ah batteries embedded into the floor of the trailer with a power connector to the C5 (like you have a power hookup for a normal tow hitch on a car so the trailer lights are powered).

The idea being if I didn't want to use the trailer, I could still use an electric motor by having a single battery installed into the C5 itself, but then when I want to go further, to hitch up the trailer and connect up the power.

Bearing in mind I will also install solar panels and maybe a dynamo onto the C5 (both to help keep the batteries charged).

What do you guys think of that idea?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 22, November, 2008 - 22:43:53 »
I like your style matie - a superb idea  8)

Chris crosskeys used a trailer for his Lands End/John  O'Groats attempts. I'm sure there are some piccies of it on the net.