News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Got my C5 running for 2 and a half minutes - then nothing...  (Read 1847 times)

Offline C-Five

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Ok, so my control box overheated out on a run.  The big thick red wire had worked lose and the poor connection melted the corner of the control box, plus one component next to it (not sure what it was).

I've soldered a new component back on, reattached the red wire (properly!) and discovered that the motor seems to run continuosly when the battery is connected (the switch on the handlebar seems to have no affect).

So I had a lovely drive around for just over 2 minutes, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery in order to slow down or speed up, and then nothing from the motor at all.  No click, nothing.

Any ideas anyone? 

*  Why didn't the motor switch work? 

*  Why did the whole thing suddenly die? 

My 5 year old son was mortified!  He'd been waiting hours to have a ride on my lap :(

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Got my C5 running for 2 and a half minutes - then nothing...
« Reply #1 on: 30, June, 2013 - 21:14:03 »
I imagine the reason for the motor running continuously is because the relay welded itself on. I had this happen on one of my Sinclairs but a few weeks ago - a girl from my school was on it and said it wouldn't stop, when she got off it simply rode off on its own, luckily this didn't happen on a public road.

I disconnected the battery immediately and it was fine 1/2 an hour later.

One of my Sinclairs also suffered similar damage to the control box as yours, though nowhere near as bad. I had only recently acquired it and didn't give it a proper going over and the connections in the control box worked themselves loose.

Offline C-Five

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Re: Got my C5 running for 2 and a half minutes - then nothing...
« Reply #2 on: 10, July, 2013 - 00:50:24 »
Thanks very much for the info, I'll check out that relay.  If its broken where can I find another one?  Thanks again!