News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Left pod & Motor strain  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Left pod & Motor strain
« on: 02, February, 2009 - 14:39:01 »
Hi guys,

Well I'm back from work (I use an iPhone at work) and I put the new leasure battery on. Pressed the button and it went click so I pushed the C5 back and then it worked. I put it up on bricks and ran the motor for a few mins.

The left pod has the far right yellow led on and a yellow one in the middle. Once I got in it I peddled a bit and hit the button. It sprang to life but the pod lights changed to the far right one still yellow and a red one next to it.
Now I'm 13 stones and would like to know if red light is correct (even when peddling), or is this a classic sign of stiff motor or over tight belt?

Is there a way to lubricate the motor whilst it's still on the car?

Many thanx

Ian

I could hear the belt squeaking and sounded tight (is this normal)
« Last Edit: 02, February, 2009 - 18:11:20 by Umpa »

Karl

Re: Left pod & Motor strain
« Reply #1 on: 02, February, 2009 - 16:27:35 »
To me, the squeaking would suggest you have some rusty/seized bearings somewhere - maybe more than one set could be giving up the ghost. Axle and/or motor ?

If you are getting a red light while trying to power along a flat road then there is some resistance causing an excessive load on the motor. With the drive wheel lifted off the ground, you should get a green light on the left of the pod when using battery power - getting a yellow light does again indicate some resistance.

I doubt your weight is the problem, since I'm mucho heavier than you and can still happily use a c5  :o

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 02, February, 2009 - 17:37:21 »
Cheers - that helps.

Its not a metal squeak, its a rubber type of sound - hard to explain, either way i think the motor has to come off !

Its the brown finger job, so I might take it off and send it to you for a service.   The snow is a bit of a problem so its not going to be this week - lol

cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: 02, February, 2009 - 18:11:57 by Umpa »

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #3 on: 02, February, 2009 - 17:55:30 »
are you sure its not a pod problem my old c5 did stupid things like that all the time give the wires at the back of the pod a good clean and push them right in

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 02, February, 2009 - 18:03:42 »
hi Alan,

Well to be honest I have absolutely no idea.  There is something tight motor side though for definate. As soon as the weather improves I'll get it on some workmates and take the motor off and see what I can do.

Are there any tutorials for the removal of the motor ?

Cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: 02, February, 2009 - 18:12:53 by Umpa »

Elmo

« Reply #5 on: 02, February, 2009 - 19:03:48 »
This link takes you to a guide on removing the body, it also covers disconnecting the motor from the control box.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=241.0

to remove the motor you will need to remove the boot, nearside wheel, drive belt and large cog.

To loosen the motor itself just undo the 10mm bolt - located bottom left as you look at the motor from the rear. The motor then slides out with gearbox attached via the fingers.

hope this helps ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 02, February, 2009 - 20:02:39 »
Cheers Dude'ett :)