News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Part exchange a 12v for a 24v?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Part exchange a 12v for a 24v?
« on: 12, February, 2012 - 23:23:24 »
Hi guys

I have a 12v almost completely original C5's restored not long ago by our very own king of C5's, Karl (BooBoo). I love this little beauty and it's not put a foot wrong bar a replacement chain tensioner.

I've been using it about once a week to go to work when I'm sure it won't rain but we've just decided to move house and I will have much further to go.
I now want to do that journey daily (esp when the whether picks up) and it just doesn't seem right right to do it in one that is still so original. It's even got proper Sinclair tyres.

I've been itching for the raw beastly power of a 24v anyway and now I will have a longer journey, which includes a few hills I need something that can cope with that extra strain.

I don't know how much the 24v's are - I imagine they are more expensive but if anyone is interested in swapping a reliable 24v for a reliable and very original 12v I would be happy to pay the difference.

+++++++++

Things I know aren't original (ask Karl if there is anything else to know):
C5 alive wiring kit (a must)
Quick release battery clamps
Uprated Chain tensioner from Chaz
It's not got an original key start
Its got newel hub caps

Things I'd like to see on the swapsy:
Good brakes
Metal front rim (so I can brake in confidence)
Reliability (I know no C5 will be but if I have to treat do a lot of maintenance I'm not the owner)

Here is the original advert for mine http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1989.msg15903.html#msg15903

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Re: Part exchange a 12v for a 24v?
« Reply #1 on: 12, February, 2012 - 23:23:58 »
Another one from my Rotterdam trip , as advertised in the c5alive "shop" side;

http://www.c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=215&osCsid=38ab4e2a14e0b3ab019878d35556edb6

A recently overhauled "used" c5 up for sale , with the following work completed on it ;

Chassis shot blasted, followed by three stage paint process of primer , top coat and lacquer.

Rear chassis "hoop" shot blasted and repainted

Front forks shot blasted and repainted

Front brake caliper shot blasted and repainted

Motor and gearbox assembly dismantled, cleaned and re-greased

New drive belt

New brake cables

New front brake blocks

New decals on the wheel trims

New side stripes

Replacement inner tubes (all three wheels)

Front wheel bearings re-greased

Front fork assembly re-greased

Handlebar stem bearings re-greased

The all important C5alive wiring kit fitted.

This c5 retains the original headlight decals and Sinclair "Vee Rubber" tyres as I wanted to keep it as original as possible.

As to be expected, the bodyshell has some deep scratches in the usual places - front "corners" , underneath and around the seat etc. Overall this is a nice and tidy c5 ready for use with a fully working control box and pod. Both the lights are in full working order and both lenses are in a good condition

£345

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #2 on: 15, February, 2012 - 14:11:55 »
Anyone? I knew it was a long shot  :-\

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 15, February, 2012 - 21:36:38 »
There are very few 24v c5's out there, and even fewer reliable 24v c5's  , so you are trying to tempt a very small audience.

Might be worth considering building one yourself or waiting to see if one comes up for sale later on  ;)

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #4 on: 15, February, 2012 - 23:27:42 »
I thought so - I wondered if anyone had one gathering dust.

No chance of my kackhanded self building one - I might create the first spontaneously combusting C5.
Dibs on any that people are building though!  ;D

In the mean time the one you built is doing amazingly - never puts a foot wrong.