News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Sodastream  (Read 3738 times)

Jonny

Sodastream
« on: 30, March, 2011 - 17:04:45 »
i've wanted one for ages and after trying a mates sodastream on saturday i decided to splash out on 1.

to be honest the cola flavouring tastes like morrisons 17p for 2l rubbish athough the 'xstream' flavour is quite nice. i haven't yet tried the others. gonna have a see if i can create some kind of adapter to use regular co2 tanks as the cost of co2 refills is quite expensive which is it's major drawback  :(

Karl

Re: Sodastream
« Reply #1 on: 30, March, 2011 - 22:17:55 »
Yep - we had one of those back in the day  :)

Love seeing all the old stuff back in fashion  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 31, March, 2011 - 07:58:03 »
We had one aswell, it was great when we were kids in the summer (them really hot and really long summers we used to get) having a nice cold bottle of pop in the fridge waiting for us  ;D
Also reminds me of the orange lollies my mum used to make and loads of ice cube's in the trays  :D

Retro Andy 

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 23, July, 2011 - 20:11:17 »
We use ours all the time - love it.  We go to Maplins to exchange cylinders but the online shop is best for concentrates.

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • Battery level: 3
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
« Reply #4 on: 04, August, 2011 - 20:52:40 »
You can get Coke / Pepsi Post mix from your local cash and carry.   Just add that to your soda stream and you will have pub coke in you kitchen.

Jonny

« Reply #5 on: 05, August, 2011 - 02:03:37 »
thanks for the tip! i have a mate who has a costco card so i'll ask him if he can look for some for me!

on another note, the biggest downfall with the sodastream is the cost of replacement gas cylinders. i'm working on an adapter that will make it so i can fill sodastream bottles from regular co2 bottles (and save a FORTUNE on extorsionate gas refill prices). the biggest problem i have is the new thread on the sodastream bottle, 4.4mm pitch trapezoidal! the bottles also use a special type of pin valve instead of a conventional on/off type. the main problem as i said is the thread, a thread cutting tool to cut this thread is being a pain to find, i made have to try and make something myself to cut this thread. if i can get that done i can just hook it up to some hydraulic hose then at the end of that i can put on a standard co2 nut (bs341 no.8 thread) then fill from large co2 cylinders for about £1 per fill of the larger bottle  :) by the way for all interested the '60l' sodastream co2 bottle holds 500g of co2.