News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: ( sold ) Sinclair C5 12 volt - 24 volt Adam Harper Conversion for sale on Ebay  (Read 12212 times)

rafarestaura

« Last Edit: 16, March, 2012 - 11:31:42 by BooBoo »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
I remember seeing a Adam Harper 24 volt converted C5 a few months ago, possibly the same one? Looks very good, and had over a grand spent on it  :o

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Looks very good - up to £255 already so I expect it will go up quickly near the end.

Anyone know the seller?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
There are lots of C5s appearing on E bay over the last few days, its amazing how many are still out there hiding in sheds etc.   8)

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Its now upto £430 and will go higher......................

I hope someone on here gets it as would like to get my hands on it so I could replicated the conversion.

Lance

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
There's a youtube video - At 2:40 it looks like he's having trouble making it accelerate and he never shows it driving.
But it's got a full on alarm system and everything!

Wish I wasn't moving house right now and had a bit more spare cash - or else I would go for it!

Anyone know how reliable the harper conversions were? Considering he charged £70 for a clean £300 doesn't seem much for a conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT5nLOtjm-Q&feature=channel
« Last Edit: 05, March, 2012 - 19:59:03 by thedesigntailor »

chrisbaildon

Hi all - This is my C5 for sale, so any questions I will do my best to answer.

As the last post pointed out I was struggling a bit with the video not with the accelatror but for some reason thought the horn was on that side (muppet!) and couldnt work out why it wasnt working - but that was because it is on the other side.

To power the C5 Adam fitted a rocker switch under the left handle bar it does not use the usual switch on the left handle bar so sorry if it looks like it wasnt working. I was going to reshoot the video but it was freezing yesterday so couldnt be bothered.

Like I say in the listing it is an excellent C5 and given me many, many years of trouble free fun and I showed it regularly at shows in the North.

I would love for it to go to someone on here and realise I am not going to get all the money put into back but I have had lots of fun with it and money cannot buy that and it certainly gets some looks especially hurtling along at 30mph ;D

Also due to the weather yesterday that is why you dont see it working but of course would be shown fully working to the winning bidder.

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: 05, March, 2012 - 20:22:49 by chrisbaildon »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
I like the alarm on this - my C5 regularly gets left unattended so it would make a good accessory for mine. Is this one programmed so that the siren only goes off when something upsets the shock sensor?

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Hi Chris

What a fantastic model you have there - I don't think you'll be far off getting your money back  - already £500 and the clever bidders wait to the last minutes. Why are you selling?

It would be great to see it driving.

Don't forget to push the new owner to this forum!

;D

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Hi Chris,

You could always let us have a look at how its been modified so we can replicate........................

Lance

chrisbaildon

Re: Sinclair C5 12 volt - 24 volt Adam Harper Conversion for sale on Ebay
« Reply #10 on: 06, March, 2012 - 17:33:18 »
Why am I selling, well a couple of reasons really but one in the main and sad as it probably sounds because of a promise I made to my wife.

I turned 40 last year and decided that I wanted to learn to ride a motorbike, which although worried about my safety my wife supported me on. I loved learning having never been on a motor bike before and after passing my test the wife also let me spend £7k on a new bike.

I always said to my wife that if she ever wanted to do it herself that I would support her and I am true to my word and she said to me the other month she wants to learn and get a bike, so I have bought her a bike that we pick up at the end of March. So the main reason for selling is that I simply do not have room for the C5 and two motorbikes. The C5 also in all honesty doesnt get used as much as it should probably (maybe a dozen times a year), so I time for someone else to enjoy.

In terms of the question on the alarm not 100% sure how it works, I guess it uses microwaves or something similar that picks up when you approach the C5 & that activates the speach. I know I can adjust the sensivity on it quite easily.

In terms of looking at how the actual 24v conversion works not sure how I can help as electronics is not my thing I am afraid, but happy to try give any information I can.

Chris

Offline Pyrasanth

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #11 on: 06, March, 2012 - 19:42:50 »
Hi,

Its great to have a C5 modified to 24v but by the looks of things you have gone through some motors and gear boxes looking at your ebay purchases in the process shame :( until they come up with a solution to stop this it's a problem getting the motor to stay in one bit.

Saying that still a lovely example buddy and I'm sure you will miss it but you could always get another at some point.

Thanks

Pyra

chrisbaildon

« Reply #12 on: 06, March, 2012 - 21:53:34 »
Hi,

Its great to have a C5 modified to 24v but by the looks of things you have gone through some motors and gear boxes looking at your ebay purchases in the process shame :( until they come up with a solution to stop this it's a problem getting the motor to stay in one bit.

Saying that still a lovely example buddy and I'm sure you will miss it but you could always get another at some point.

Thanks

Pyra

Hi - Well not strictly true, it has had one new motor and gear box that I fitted last year and the old one had lasted since 2004 (so 7 years), which was a brand new one (old stock). I have a loft full of spares that I have bought over the years and that I will be listing seperately after the C5 has gone. These include brand new old stock motors, PODs, control boxes and three working original C5 chargers, as well as magazines, promotional leaflets, phonecards etc all of which I bought off eBay over the years. I just decided not to include all these in the sale as I thought I would probably make more selling them seperately so keep your eyes on eBay over the coming weeks if you are after spares.

Chris

chrisbaildon

« Reply #13 on: 08, March, 2012 - 19:51:32 »
Can you noot take the boot off and  take some   photos off the kit :)

I can certainly do that but not sure if that will help. Will take a few at the weekend and then post for you....

Chris

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 10, March, 2012 - 10:41:20 »
As nice as this c5 is, it still suffers the Achilles heel of the weak standard gearbox. If I remember correctly, Adam would advertise these as having a turbo boost effect implying that the 24v option should be used sparingly as opposed to full time - possibly allowing the gearbox to cool down ? A full power 24v c5 built for Jason Bradbury by myself and c5martin destroyed a reinforced standard gearbox in 2hrs of usage ..and this was a gearbox supplied by Adam as used in his own 24v c5's. We managed to obtain some level of reliability by adjusting the 24v controller down to its lowest setting.

Not saying any of this to deter a potential sale, just to be aware that you are not buying a 30mph c5 that will give mopeds a run for their money and that it most definately will prove to be fragile if used in anger too often. This conversion does not improve the reliability of a c5 in any, quite the opposite !