C5 Help > C5 Faults & Solutions

Drive gear has small cracks

(1/2) > >>

gertk:
Today when disassembling the rear wheel for inspection I found out the big drivewheel has some small cracks.

I recognize this problem from several consumer electronics stuff (like CD/DVD player drive motors) where sometime the small gear on the motor develops a small hairline crack and the gears do not mesh properly anymore.

In this case the cracks are not all the way through so it is still sitting tight but I wanted to stop the cracks from growing bigger. The smaller crack was quickly filled with industrial cyanoacrylate. To make the cyanoacrylate fill the larger gap I filled it with an aggregate (some plexiglas filings left on my workbench..) and soaked it in cyanoacrylate.
Photo later on..

I hope this way the wheel is strong enough again.

radiomarty:
Looking forward to seeing the results of this as it is a very common failure with this component - Marty

dansretropod:
Marra is making metal versions of these, I'm sure theres also scope to run these through a 3d printer

coverman:
Will be surprised if a 3D layer printed drivewheel will have the shear stregth to withstand the torque at lock.

dansretropod:
Aye :D But if you never try, you will never find out ;D If it disintegrates I'll use a metal one

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version