News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Proper toys !  (Read 2277 times)

Karl

Proper toys !
« on: 08, May, 2010 - 21:51:42 »
Went out with electricDave today looking for parts for the c-5000 , rummaging around a couple of motorbike breakers .

Stumbled across these guys on an industrial estate near Godstone,Surrey ;

http://www.xinlingworld.com/default.asp

They were good enough to let us try out the 1500w electric scooter they now stock, hence selling off the 800w scooters .

We hope to meet up again with them at the Ardingly show in July.

If you're after a cheap electric scooter - these guys seem to know their stuff  8)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Proper toys !
« Reply #1 on: 09, May, 2010 - 09:33:00 »
As you know Karl I have been looking at electric scooters for a means to get to work on, you can pick them up for as little as £500 with no tax or fuel they seem very cheap, but I have been warned that the batteries only last a couple of years and they cost about £200 and that they can be difficult to insure so a 50cc scooter might be as cheap to run about on, but if I was to get a petro bike I couldn't get a 50cc, when you're talking electric power 30mph seems alright, but what the finish like on them and what would you advise ? Any thoughts anyone about which I should choose (The basic idea is to get a cheap as possible transport to get to work on as an everyday use, other than a bike or my C5, as not as fit as I used to be)

Retro Andy   

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 09, May, 2010 - 10:30:04 »
The electric scooters I saw at Godstone seemed ok, but you have to remember they cost a fraction of the price of a "proper" mainstream scooter so build quality varies accordingly..The plastics were very thin, with demo bikes showing some light cosmetic damage.

The guys at the shop said these bikes run on lead acid batteries, so replacement costs should be fairly cheap. They are a really friendly bunch, why not give them a call mate and have a chat ?

They are going to the Ardingly show, so if you were able to make it there you could probably test ride one at the show.  8)

The 1500w bike was quite good, very similar performance to a 50cc moped.

As to which is best ; the 50cc petrol or electric ? I'd say its very close ,especially when you consider the lack of fuel costs for electric - but I'd like to see how the  electric one performed in cold & wet weather  :-\
On the other hand, the average "mainstream" petrol scooter is well proven and reliable so it is a really tough choice.
« Last Edit: 10, May, 2010 - 15:07:55 by BooBoo »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 09, May, 2010 - 22:39:41 »
I will decide one day, I would like to have a go on the electric scooter before I decide though.

Retro Andy.