News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: When double glazing attacks !  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
When double glazing attacks !
« on: 11, January, 2010 - 23:16:44 »
I was running a quick bath before work today and left it running while quickly checking my e-mail and heard this big bang and shattering glass. On checking the bathroom the top opening window was exploded all over the bathroom with big slithers of glass everywhere. On closer inspection the outer pane of the double glazing was intact but the inner panel had technically imploded with the hot air from the bath on one side of the window over stressing the glass with cold outside! Never seen a window go like that before and as I found glass all in the bath and the other side of the room, I was glad I was not in there when it blew. According to the window fitters info on the web this is a phenomenon that can occur during these cold snaps so beware exploding(imploding), double glazing !

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: When double glazing attacks !
« Reply #1 on: 12, January, 2010 - 06:41:16 »
Bloody hell, that could have been really nasty, thankfully as you said you wasn't in the bath, funny thing is I'm running a bath at the moment, might just go and add some cold water  :D

Retro Andy 

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 12, January, 2010 - 08:35:40 »
scary stuff mate.... :o

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 12, January, 2010 - 09:10:56 »
theres a simple technical answer - don't sing along with the 'Go Compare' add  ;D

(or perhaps eat less curry  :P)

joking aside, we take glass for granted and pay little heed to and there is a lot of it in every home. i think what happens in extreme cold is the vacuum has dissipated the air that has leaked in contract's due to the severe cold, when warmth is applied quickly the air in the module expands to take up more room that it did when at 'normal' temperatures and expands. add to the effect you get when pouring hot water on your wind screenon a frozen day and 'pop'.

if the above worries you (as a devoted grandad it has me), you can get a clear self adhesive safety film which is attached to the glass, so if it s damaged the film retains it, often used in glazed internal doors, back doors or display cabinets etc. to guard against kids on bikes/skates from being 'sliced and diced' if they crash into it.

Kurk, i'd suggest you get some for the new and remainin window to protect the magic triplets of your sisters, and lets face it K, last thing in the world you would want is to be naked in the bathroom when the glass smashes - think of the neighbours man if nothing else ;D.

regs
alan

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #4 on: 12, January, 2010 - 22:25:00 »
I think my singing in the bath would break geneva convention rules let alone glass  ;D

On the good news front, Brother-in-laws mate installs double glazing so now all repaired and he even realigned my front door which for the first time in 9 years does not stick any more.

Have to admit was a bit tentative in the bath today and did not go so mad on the hot water just in case. As for wearing the motorbike crash helmet, well we all have our kinks :)