News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Steering Stem  (Read 1810 times)

Offline dantheref

• Battery level: 1
  • I used to be indecisive, but now im not so sure
Steering Stem
« on: 21, February, 2014 - 09:15:08 »
On one of  my C5s the handlebars are alot higher than on the other. As a result i get a better turning circle on one than the other (on the one where the handlebars are lower they hit the seat when turning.) how to i adapt this?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Steering Stem
« Reply #1 on: 21, February, 2014 - 13:17:48 »
Hi there if the handlebars are too high you will find it better to turn but a smaller circle you could end up on your side going down the road ..
The height of the bar should just hit the seat and stop or just above a little ..To adjust the bar is to Lift the handle bar by loosening the bolt on the top and just tap it loose then raise it up by turning it backwards and forwards When in the correct height is reached make sure the front wheel is in the correct position then tighten the top bolt ..

Offline Ray

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 21, February, 2014 - 21:38:27 »
C5 Enthusiast + Restorer
There is a bit of the question you did not answer but it interests me. One side of the handlebar is higher than the other and therefore turns more in that direction. Mine has the same issue. I guess something is distorted. Have you come across this before and know the cause or better still the cure?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 22, February, 2014 - 07:39:40 »
Hi there Ray I have come acros the same thing and as long as the bars do not go to far there should be no problem ...Chas

Offline Ray

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #4 on: 22, February, 2014 - 11:55:31 »
Thanks Chas, on re-reading the original post I see you did answer the question and now you have answered mine. Some day I may study the handlebars and see where the distortion is; in the handlebars themselves or in the stem mounting assuming the seat front is level. In the meantime the difference in turning the handlebars left or right is very little and not an issue.