News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Removing and fitting new gearbox  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Theojw71

• Battery level: 0
  • My OTHER car is a C5...
Removing and fitting new gearbox
« on: 21, June, 2014 - 12:19:35 »
Hi, anyone - can you point me to any articles showing the step-by-step to remove the plastic gearbox and fit Chas's excellent metal replacement?

I have all the kit and the motor off, just want to ensure I don't break anything or miss a vital step.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Removing and fitting new gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 21, June, 2014 - 19:06:10 »
Hi there you have to prise open the fingers and place something underneath to keep them open  and do it to all them then  try to pull the the old. Insert off and gearbox off .I do have a tool that I made that opens all the teeth together .If you like I can send it to you  as long as you send it back as soon as you have used it or you could send the motor and I will do it for you all I would need is the return postage ....
Bye Chas

Offline Theojw71

« Reply #2 on: 22, June, 2014 - 02:05:58 »
Cheers Chas. I found the useful post with pics about removing and re-installing the gearbox and also dismantling the motor.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1217.msg9622.html#msg9622

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0

I successfully dismantled, cleaned, greased and reinstalled everything - however, when trying to use the motor, all I hear is a loud ratcheting sound (almost like the gearbox or drive is slipping). Why? Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #3 on: 22, June, 2014 - 07:35:56 »
I always cut fingers size pieces from 1mm thick plastic (from an old plastic oil can) and slip these fingers between the gearbox fingers and the engine so the fingers won't Fall back into their lock position after I gently open them one by one. The in between plastic keeps  them open.
Now it easely comes off.
 8)
Greetz

Frank

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 22, June, 2014 - 10:20:40 »
Hi there Theo sent my phone number on a PM bye Chas 

Offline Theojw71

« Reply #5 on: 23, June, 2014 - 18:39:52 »
The fantastic support of this Forum strikes again!!! particular thanks to Chas for his help. I learned a valuable lesson, so I'll play my part and pass it on.

When re-installing the motor, to get the right level of tension on the belt:

1. Make sure the gearbox end of the motor is sitting ON the supporting lip of the mounting bracket (variously referred to as the "fence", "card" or "blade")
2. Loosen the mounting bracket so you can angle the motor in pointing slightly down; this gives you enough play remaining in the belt to fit it onto the outer gear cog.
3.Twist the motor round inside the mounting bracket, when you re-fit it, so the red wire output from the motor is horizontal and pointing immediately backward - this is the tightest part of the adjustment.

Fitted the gearbox and motor this way, and I'm back in business!

• Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 23, June, 2014 - 19:34:39 »
Well done Theo  .Great to see you have fixed it now Bye Chas