News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Sticky switch  (Read 2406 times)

Offline littlefairyc5er

• Battery level: 4
  • Three wheels are fun :)
Sticky switch
« on: 02, January, 2013 - 13:30:32 »
Hi :)
I went out on my C5 yesterday and when I took my thumb off the 'go' switch the stupid thing kept going and I ended up having to switch the battery off to be able to stop.....not helpful when approaching a junction :(

Any ideas how to fix it :)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Sticky switch
« Reply #1 on: 02, January, 2013 - 13:45:37 »
You can buy electrical contact spray, this should do the trick.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 02, January, 2013 - 14:23:27 »
This could be one of two things :

1. There is an issue with the micro switch you press to go on the handle bars -Make sure it is not getting caught on the grips etc - Try a replacement switch.
2. The commutation diode(D1) in the control box has failed allowing the relay contacts to become poor and possible stick together - Check D1 is in good condition (using a meter)and that the relay contacts are clean.

Take caution until you have found the cause !! :)
« Last Edit: 02, January, 2013 - 15:21:29 by radiomarty »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 02, January, 2013 - 18:29:51 »
I'd go with RadioMarty's advice and check the position of the handlebar grip first .The handlebar grip on the Left Hand Side  has a small raised area that is meant to house the microswitch , if the grip moves or rotates you can end up with a part of the grip constantly pressing the red button . To check , disconnect the battery first, then just press and release the switch a couple of times. You should hear a nice healthy click . You can also pull back the grip to reveal the microswitch and check to see if it is working correctly.

Offline littlefairyc5er

• Battery level: 4
  • Three wheels are fun :)
« Reply #4 on: 02, January, 2013 - 18:32:47 »
Wow  :o guess I may need to enlist some help as I am a real girl and this is going straight over my head :) I will get my helper to read this so they know what to look for :) Thanks :)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 02, January, 2013 - 20:23:39 »
Hi there just a quick test .The push button on the handle has two wires connected to it.
 If you then lift the back wheels of the ground  and pack it up then disconnect the wires from the switch then you could just put them together and make a contact The c5 motor should run and stop when the wire is disconnected . If it stops straight away then its the push button .
If not and it goes on for a short time then it's the control box ...MAKE SURE THE BACK WHEES ARE OF THE GROUND BEFORE YOU START ...
Bye Chas