News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: 3 wheel smile of a different sort  (Read 3604 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
3 wheel smile of a different sort
« on: 28, October, 2009 - 11:28:31 »
thought i'd relate this true story as it concerns another 3 wheeler - the Reliant Robin (aka Norfolk Limousine).

a few years back, well 40 or so, a friend and neighbour or mine worked in the local garage as a panel beater/sprayer.

a reliant robin came in for a normal a routine service. anyway it got forgotten about until very late in the day. the workshop manager asked for someone to do the service just at clocking off time, but lets say he was not well liked so got no takers.

in a raging huff he shouted some choice words at the workers and said he will do it himself, with no more ado jumped into the Robin and drove it - straight over over the access pit.

being only one wheel at the front this resulted in a very spectacular and sudden nose dive, the body jammed on the walls of the pit so the doors could not open, it was in to far to get out through the door or windows. to add to the manager woe's the Robins floor also split from the upper body. this helped dislodge the rear bench seat which then wedged behind the front seats and held by the crushed car walls, so he could not escape through the back door.

best of all, after insulting the workforce, no one called the fire brigade they simply walked out and left him to it, he only got out when his worried girlfriend came by to see where he was as dinner was getting cold.

the manager was not hurt but did get sacked, but is that being disliked or what?

regs
alan

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: 3 wheel smile of a different sort
« Reply #1 on: 28, October, 2009 - 16:49:54 »
I have water in my eyes - soooo funny

filcool

« Reply #2 on: 28, October, 2009 - 17:25:54 »
very funny,hope that doesnt happen to mine !!!!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 29, October, 2009 - 07:25:20 »
Great story, really funny, I am an assistant service manager at a Citroen dealership, and have seen similiar accidents in the workshop over the years, and I also worked for a manager that was not very well liked, but I  think he could be alright sometimes.

P.S Very nice Filcool.

Retro Andy.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #4 on: 29, October, 2009 - 21:34:25 »
in my formative youth i lived in Plaistow, East London. there used to be a dealership for the Reliant Robins on the North side of the Barking Road, about a mile heading Eastbound from the Boleyn PH Lights.

he used to really cram them in 3 rows deep on the pavement, most days partially obstructing it, and loads more of them in the open fronted showroom.

my Dad (then an insurance agent) came in from work totally beaming with glee, told us a tipper truck had ran out of control and smashed right into the shop destroying about 35 cars, i remember the picture being shown in the local rag, he was just so happy as he had not won the business a few months previous lol!

J. Clarkson would have been ecstatic at such totaling  ;D -

happy days

regs
alan