News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: 2nd Battery Upgrade  (Read 6421 times)

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
2nd Battery Upgrade
« on: 05, September, 2012 - 14:55:48 »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and have recently got my first C5 which is great fun driving around in:)

Just 1 question, what are the advantages of using a 2nd battery, I know it can extend the range, but would it also help when going up hills as at the moment my C5 struggles with hills which I believe is normal.

Thanks!

Dan

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: 2nd Battery Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 05, September, 2012 - 17:07:30 »
It would extend your range but unfortunately won't help with climbing hills. For that you need a 24V conversion which wouldn't be legal anyway.

Offline mhurt

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 05, September, 2012 - 17:17:19 »
Could possibly go for the dual motor approach that Chas made http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2402.0.html
Not sure that would be entirely legal though, but it's something I'd definitely like to try at some point in the future, as I have to get out and push on some local hills.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 05, September, 2012 - 20:27:16 »
Hi there talking of my 2 motor C5 I will be putting it up for sale soon

Offline mhurt

« Reply #4 on: 05, September, 2012 - 20:56:28 »
Damn - the missus would kill me if I bought another (not to mention the bank manager!).
Will keep an eye out though, as I know someone that's after one since they tried mine out :)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 06, September, 2012 - 10:28:21 »
Having two motors means 500W, twice the legal limit.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #6 on: 07, September, 2012 - 08:41:15 »
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll stick with the standard 1 motor + 1 battery setup. There's only the occasional steep hill/speed bumps where I live so it's no big deal pushing it.

I imagine trying to pedal a C5 with the extra weight of 2 batteries and 2 motors is hard work anyway.

Thanks!

Offline coverman

« Reply #7 on: 07, September, 2012 - 12:09:17 »
I live in a hilly area and just keep pedalling whilst the motor is running

Offline mhurt

« Reply #8 on: 07, September, 2012 - 12:26:07 »
I live in a hilly area and just keep pedalling whilst the motor is running

So do I, but the flipping things are too long or too steep (or both!) for that to work :)
I usually have a 100m stretch where I have to push, or extras if I have to stop going uphill for some reason. I'm considering a couple of options that would get me up these, but at a slower speed (around 4mph) and not using the C5 motor

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #9 on: 07, September, 2012 - 17:31:05 »
Yep, some hill's you can't get up even by peddling and using the motor;)  I may look into getting a lighter battery such as the LiFePO4 batteries which are much lighter than a lead acid battery, though much more expensive:(

I'm considering a couple of options that would get me up these, but at a slower speed (around 4mph) and not using the C5 motor

I like the idea of getting the C5 to go slower up steep hills you'll have to keep us posted.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #10 on: 07, September, 2012 - 19:25:55 »
Yep, some hill's you can't get up even by peddling and using the motor;)  I may look into getting a lighter battery such as the LiFePO4 batteries which are much lighter than a lead acid battery, though much more expensive:(

I'm considering a couple of options that would get me up these, but at a slower speed (around 4mph) and not using the C5 motor

I like the idea of getting the C5 to go slower up steep hills you'll have to keep us posted.

I've never had a problem getting up a hill, even if really quite steep, and I very rarely pedal. I nearly always carry two batteries at 32kg and am 9 stone myself.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #11 on: 07, September, 2012 - 21:16:42 »

I've never had a problem getting up a hill, even if really quite steep, and I very rarely pedal. I nearly always carry two batteries at 32kg and am 9 stone myself.

I'm 6 stone heavier than you, just about 41 and, until a couple of months ago hadn't ridden in 25 years :D
I'm sure that after a while, I'll get more strength and stamina, but even then there will be periods where I have problems due to a health condition, so I could still do with a solution eventually :)

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
« Reply #12 on: 08, September, 2012 - 22:49:49 »
Having two motors means 500W, twice the legal limit.

Is that true ???

the top speed would be the same. it would just have more torque (given an illusion of more speed up hill).   

if you had 2x c5 strapped to each other the top speed would be the same.  each motor can't go any faster than 250w unless more power was introduced.

So I say it legal.

If still not sure just peel off the 250w stickers and replace them with 125w.

Offline coverman

« Reply #13 on: 10, September, 2012 - 10:01:52 »
The legal power limit is 250W.
Separately, yes two motors would obviously give twice the torque and twice the power, and therefore collectively may pull a few more revs allowing marginally higher top speed on standard gearing, also illegal.. Again ,obviously, if geared up, a higher top speed yet would be facilitated.
The increased power of two motors wouldn't give an apparent increase in speed up an incline, it would give an actual increase in the speed.

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 11, September, 2012 - 11:02:24 »

So I say it legal.

A guide to some of the rules, that are always changing,  are found here;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1074.0.html

Fortunately for us the recent pedelec changes are not retrospective so we do not have to fit the Dutch style pedal sensors etc.

I would suggest that fitting two motors would push you outside the guidelines in both power and weight.