News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Buzz from relay in the control box  (Read 2553 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Buzz from relay in the control box
« on: 14, September, 2010 - 20:08:31 »
Just fitted the tested,  "no more nails" free motor and gearbox to my latest C5, with replacement brushs.

When i press the go button, i get a slight buzzz from the relay in the control box as the motor starts to turn and the leds on the pod dim at the same time. This is only briefly but not had it happen on either of the other C5s here.

Once the motor is running it is fine, its just when starting from cold (this is while on the workmate)

I was wondering if its the motor drawing to much current or the relay is on its way out.

I will try another motor on it in a day or two to see if i am getting the same problem.

The motor turns freely and has just been stripped down and serviced.

Any thoughts  ???    :(
« Last Edit: 14, September, 2010 - 20:14:32 by PLOD11 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Buzz from relay in the control box
« Reply #1 on: 16, September, 2010 - 09:08:06 »
Could be related to the relay or a bad earth - what condition is D1 in ? Your right I think in assuming it is a current issue - somethings draining it on start up check you have good power earths. You can get the relay's open if your careful

aladds

« Reply #2 on: 07, October, 2010 - 13:54:39 »
I've managed to make my current problem arrive at this point. I've changed D1, D4, cleaned the relay contacts, swapped in a new IC2, replaced IC1 with a 7805 and replaced R1 with a wire link. I'm going to see what I can about TR1, TR2 and TR3....

aladds

« Reply #3 on: 07, October, 2010 - 15:20:39 »
Perhaps you should check your battery. I just swapped mine for my spare and now it doesn't buzz. Just going to take it for a short run to see if it's fixed, I have a feeling it is....

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #4 on: 07, October, 2010 - 16:52:04 »
I had a problem with cables fitted to it,i i think they were to thin (not original) and that has cured it, also changed the 7805, R1 and the diode below that, they were al showing signs of wear and tear.

Now  works fine.

John