News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Belt Slip  (Read 13124 times)

Karl

Belt Slip
« on: 24, April, 2008 - 08:45:10 »
My cure for the dreaded belt slip that plagued Voodoo ;

Replace the belt if worn

Fit a motor mount bracket

Make sure both rubber bushes between the base of the seat and the chassis are in place !

Any others ?

12vboywilson

Re: Belt Slip
« Reply #1 on: 24, April, 2008 - 09:35:22 »
My cure for the dreaded belt slip that plagued Voodoo ;

Replace the belt if worn

Fit a motor mount bracket

Make sure both rubber bushes between the base of the seat and the chassis are in place !

Any others ?

Replace the belt with the slightly wider than standard one =P Remember that lol

blabblub

« Reply #2 on: 24, April, 2008 - 10:14:32 »
I used a bit of laminate flooring cut to the profile of the motor mount bracket.Screwed it on and  it stiffened the flimsy bit the motor sits on . Unorthadox but seems to work .

Blabblubububububububb

DonkeySpank

« Reply #3 on: 25, April, 2008 - 17:40:39 »
What's the accepted fix for a slippery chain?  Works fine on the flat, slips under strain uphill/incline. It has the 1/2 link too, I guess it's stretched - is there a fix or is this a case of "get a new chain"?!

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 25, April, 2008 - 17:59:56 »
What's the accepted fix for a slippery chain?  Works fine on the flat, slips under strain uphill/incline. It has the 1/2 link too, I guess it's stretched - is there a fix or is this a case of "get a new chain"?!

Just checking - have you got a fully functioning chain tensioner fitted ?

simonh102

« Reply #5 on: 21, June, 2008 - 19:09:03 »
HI there, new to the forum, bought a "new" C5 from Mark on ebay which worked great for 3 minutes before the belt came off and wont go back on. Mark kept offering to fit a cooling fan (its a 24v model by the way) and a motor mount to stop the belt slipping off or slipping and making that clicking sound.

A month on and I cant get hold of Mark, so I guess I will have to do it myself, does anyone know where I can get the parts from and how difficult it is to do?

p.s the threaded part that the belt goes over attached to the motorhas a few worn teeth on it, is this a real problem or can it be rectified?

Many thanks

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 21, June, 2008 - 20:33:22 »
Welcome to the forum mate   :)

Sorry to hear you are having snags with your C5, as a "new" one it shouldnt have any worn parts :-\ , has it suffered damage ? If you can get it to Crawley we could take a look at it for you. Alternatively, posting a picture on this thread might help with a "remote" diagnosis  :P.

The fan kits are available from the online shop -->  http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=192&osCsid=0ec2492d413a749bf47ed10dfb96576d

The motor mount brackets are also available from the shop -->
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=193&osCsid=38ab4e2a14e0b3ab019878d35556edb6

The fan kit will need some minor alteration to the instructions supplied since the kit is set up for normal 12v C5's.  8)

If you've still got clicking and loss of drive with the motor mount bracket fitted, I'd try a new belt . Depending on the level of damage you describe,this might be the cheapest solution.   :-*

My best guess from the limited info supplied here is that the worst case scenario is probably a new gearbox .  Not cheap, but not the end of the world either  ;)
« Last Edit: 21, June, 2008 - 20:35:41 by Karl (C5Alive) »

simonh102

« Reply #7 on: 22, June, 2008 - 00:40:02 »
thanks for this, just ordered the bits from the site you mentioned and paid with paypal - forgot to mention belt was new and I think it was one of the wide ones.

Hopefully this will sort me out

If it is the gearbox how much will it set me back?

Thanks for such a fast reply

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 22, June, 2008 - 11:55:01 »
A gearbox is expensive because they are getting quite rare  :o

I'll reply via your e-mail I've received regarding your fan kit.

blabblub

« Reply #9 on: 07, July, 2008 - 22:37:34 »
Forget the laminate flooring method in my previous post just buy the Motor Mod Bracket from the shop .

It saves a lot of buggering about  ;)

jomac

« Reply #10 on: 09, July, 2008 - 00:01:05 »
dont know why but i have this mental image of a pine interior in the boot of your C5 Blab... ;D

blabblub

« Reply #11 on: 09, July, 2008 - 17:23:38 »
Birch actually !!!  ;D

elias_a

« Reply #12 on: 16, June, 2010 - 15:51:47 »
Hi folks!

I have to replace the belt and I am thinking about getting rid of occasional belt slip, too.

Are there motor support brackets available? Tried to browse c5alive web shop but there's no such article anymore.

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 16, June, 2010 - 17:37:19 »
Hi folks!

I have to replace the belt and I am thinking about getting rid of occasional belt slip, too.

Are there motor support brackets available? Tried to browse c5alive web shop but there's no such article anymore.

I've stopped making the support brackets now because we have found a cable tie is cheaper and easier to use  ;);
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1181.0

...saves us all a bit of money, and leaves me with a bit more time to do other c5 stuff  8)