News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Belt slip. Tried Everything any ideas?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline teamgardner

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Belt slip. Tried Everything any ideas?
« on: 26, September, 2012 - 21:06:24 »
Hi I've been trying to solve a problem with my belt slipping but have had no luck. I get the odd click when under a medium amount of strain. I'm confident that i have tentioned it correctly and have the cable tie around the fence to keep it in place. I have not tried a new belt as it looks in pretty good condition. the teeth on the gears don't look worn to me. the only thing that seems a little odd is the three washers that are tightly jammed on the axle (circled in red on the pics) Maybe someone could tell me if these are supposed to be there?
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tom

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Belt slip. Tried Everything any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 27, September, 2012 - 01:29:12 »
The washers are correct, are you rotating the motor / gearbox when adjusting the tension ?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 27, September, 2012 - 08:54:27 »
Hi there regarding the washers are correct they stop the large cog from moving away from the belt alignment..
Also the teeth on the gearbox teeth are worn out and you will not be able to stop the belt from slipping ...
Bye Chas

Offline teamgardner

« Reply #3 on: 27, September, 2012 - 08:57:18 »
Yes i rotated the motor until its the greatest distance between the gears. the belt feels really tight, when removing the belt you cant pull the belt off without slackening off the motor first.

thanks

tom

Offline teamgardner

« Reply #4 on: 27, September, 2012 - 11:22:49 »
thanks Chas. what are my options now? Can you get new ones? Has anybody got any suitable 2nd hand ones? or can i just put up with it? or will that just cause too much damage?

Thanks

Tom

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 27, September, 2012 - 18:03:00 »
Hi there  are doing at the moment is putting a lot of strain on the motor/gearbox  There are motors on eBay with gearbox's on why not have a go at winning one .. Or you could buy a metal one from me but they are expensive (but they will never wear out ) Or you could ask  Karl if he has one he does have quiet a few spares ... Bye Chas
« Last Edit: 27, September, 2012 - 22:14:18 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline teamgardner

« Reply #6 on: 27, September, 2012 - 19:37:34 »
Thanks for your reply. Money is a bit of an issue. I would love one of your metal ones but can't stretch that far. i was thinking about tring to buy one off ebay but that would also depend on how much it went for. I have found a timing belt pulley on ebay. do you have any thoughts about whether it could be possible to attach it in some way? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221012709053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Another thought i had was whether someone might do a trade with me. I have a faulty conrtol box i am planning to refurb. do you think a working control box would be worth a as new motor and gearbox?

Thanks for your help

Tom

spartacus

« Reply #7 on: 22, October, 2012 - 12:01:24 »
are you sure it's not the chain that's clunking. i had a stuck chain link that caused an intermittent clunk and slip under strain. Check every link is totally free to move.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 22, October, 2012 - 15:20:37 »
As I wrote it is the gearbox teeth that are worn no matter what you do it will always slip...

Offline teamgardner

« Reply #9 on: 23, October, 2012 - 08:22:38 »
Thanks for the idea spartacus but i know its not the chain as the noise happens when not pedaling. I have also seen the belt slip when i tested it.