News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: C5 Brake system  (Read 7368 times)

Mole

C5 Brake system
« on: 19, December, 2008 - 18:02:10 »
Hi all, Long time no post

I'm making it a mission to finish my C5 off. to that end I need to sort the brakes out. I pretty much get the whole system apart from the handles. How do the cables attach to the handles/ leavers. What I could really do with is a close up photo of how the cable should look when its installed correctly.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Richard

Karl

Re: C5 Brake system
« Reply #1 on: 19, December, 2008 - 19:20:20 »
I'm off to work (night shift) very soon, I'll sort you out some piccies tomorrow afternoon  ;)

Glad to see you back  8)

Mole

« Reply #2 on: 20, December, 2008 - 16:50:13 »
Its good to be back

If any ones intrested in prgress of my C5, Ill stick a post in the main bit

Richard

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 20, December, 2008 - 19:09:35 »
some piccies as promised;

I wasn't sure what bit you needed most help with, but if these piccies aren't what you're after let me know and I'll take some different ones  8)

Mole

« Reply #4 on: 21, December, 2008 - 17:28:04 »
Thats awsome.

Basicly What I need to know is is the cable sheath (the black outer cable and the metal end clamp) clamped on to the handle or dose it just butt up against the handle? Its proberbly bicyle 101 but best to ask.

Cheers

Richard

Wizbat

« Reply #5 on: 21, December, 2008 - 23:31:55 »
Hi there!
The cable does just butt up against the handle but it fits into an outer collar that fits thru the handle to help hold the cable in place.
these are available from most cycle shops, better still karl may have some.
:-)

Mole

« Reply #6 on: 22, December, 2008 - 17:36:33 »
I see!.. I Think

So the outer collar is clamped to the handle bar and helps locate the cable that buts up against it and is held by the tension of the inner cable.

that right?

Thanks Wizbat

Richard

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 23, December, 2008 - 00:10:36 »
yep - you're pretty much there.  ;)

If you look at these new piccies I've just added you will see a small collar type device (possibly called a ferrule ?) that fits between the outer brake cable and the bracket of the brake lever. This helps to "brace" the outer cable when the brake lever is pulled, stopping the outer cable from moving past the bracket that holds the brake lever on .

The more rounded "ferrule" is the type that I supply with the brake cable kits , it does the same job as the originals - just a slightly different shape to the Sinclair ones  8)

Hope this helps, if not - let me know . :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #9 on: 26, April, 2009 - 10:11:53 »
At £0.99 and free p&p its worth a try, i dont no the length myself, but i know the front one is longer than the rear, but they have the same fixings, if it fits the front then get another for the rear, you can always cut it to fit, dont forget the left lever is the rear brake and the right lever is the front.

Retro Andy.