News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Control box & pod modifications.  (Read 4196 times)

waran2005

Control box & pod modifications.
« on: 20, April, 2009 - 09:24:14 »
Hello
      I want to improve the reliability of the electronics by modify them as described in the service guide, now I know they work.
     I understand where to connect the resistor and about changing the supply for IC2 from 12 to 5 volts but I dont understand where to put the catchment diods or what way around they are supposed to go. Can someone please clarify this for me?
     Thanks
                               Waran.

Karl

Re: Control box & pod modifications.
« Reply #1 on: 30, April, 2009 - 09:07:43 »
Not something I can help you with mate, I leave all the electrikery stuff to Martin and other techy types like OGB  :P

Offline motormadmick

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 30, April, 2009 - 13:40:52 »
Is this a mod that could improve the reliability, whats involved in doing it?

waran2005

« Reply #3 on: 30, April, 2009 - 16:58:06 »
Hello Mick
       All the information that I have was obtained from the NOTES ON INSTRUMENTATION by Perry Newman. The information I was quoting can be down loaded as a PDF file on the C5 alive web site in the down load section titled unofficial service guide, its very interesting but does not really go into enough detail as mentioned.
     The other modifications are fairly straight forward, I have changed supply on IC2 from 12 to 5 volts and will be fitting the 47K resistor in the pod shortly. Hopefully these mods will help, pity about those catch diodes?

Waran.

Offline motormadmick

« Reply #4 on: 03, May, 2009 - 20:23:34 »
i will have a look, but i think its over my head this lot..i only know the right end from the wrong end of a soldering iron when i pick it up and its hot!!! :P

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 04, May, 2009 - 11:19:36 »
i will have a look, but i think its over my head this lot..i only know the right end from the wrong end of a soldering iron when i pick it up and its hot!!! :P

You and me both, I bought a replacement pod as mine was duff.

Offline motormadmick

« Reply #6 on: 04, May, 2009 - 21:25:45 »
Is there a simple way then of making your C5 more reliable, i mean is there any other things i could do, apart from check the tyres, battery and stuff like that, i didnt understand the pod bit above, and im worried in case its something simple i could be checking on min to avoid disaster or have i read the manual wrong ???

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 04, May, 2009 - 22:24:27 »
Apart from failing due to age related deterioration, I'm guessing that most of the damage to the pod and control box is probably caused when people connect the battery on the wrong way round - unless you have one of Martins wiring kits. 

Keeping on top of the usual maintenance, such as you describe (greasing the gearbox and bearings etc) will always help prolong a c5's life. As does pedaling away before engaging the motor.

Other than that, I've found the C5 to be quite a strong little vehicle .