News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Can you help?  (Read 4637 times)

C5Paul

Can you help?
« on: 18, May, 2009 - 19:17:03 »
Hi

I have bought a C5 without any keys, can I buy a new key set for it? So I dont know if the battery will work yet as I cant turn it on!

also

When I use the pedals it makes a clunking noise with every turn, what could this be?

Paul

Karl

Re: Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: 18, May, 2009 - 19:39:32 »
Keys -  the original keyswitch assembly should still be available from Adam Harper. Don't forget you will also need a key for the bootlock . Most of us here tend to remove the keyswitch assembly and opt for battery clamps ,as per the c5alive wiring kit. This opens up the choice of battery that can be used. If you type "keyswitch" into the search field from forum home page you will see a list of postings that cover this subject.

The clunking noise might well be chain tensioner related, you will need to have a good look underneath while rotating the pedals to check. You can place the c5 on a black & Decker workmate or set of trestle's etc. to help with this.

If you are new to C5's I would recommend viewing the download area of the main c5alive website, there you will find the unofficial handbook which is full of useful info.

C5Paul

« Reply #2 on: 18, May, 2009 - 20:44:58 »
Cheers karl,

I will go do some looking now.

You are right aboutthe tensioner. I tured her upside down and found a rusty chain thats about to get replaced and the tensioner all loose. I think there may be something missing to it so the manual will help

ta

Paul

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 18, May, 2009 - 21:19:03 »
Cheers karl,

I will go do some looking now.

You are right aboutthe tensioner. I tured her upside down and found a rusty chain thats about to get replaced and the tensioner all loose. I think there may be something missing to it so the manual will help

ta

Paul

Not the best piccies in the world, but you get the idea ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.0

I believe Adam Harper still sells complete chain tensioners, but if you are only missing a clip try the shop side for some cheap and cheerful solutions  ;)

« Last Edit: 18, May, 2009 - 21:21:10 by Karl (C5Alive) »

C5Paul

« Reply #4 on: 18, May, 2009 - 21:22:48 »
Cheers,

Looking at my first job,

i want to sort the electrics out and put a new battery on it with a new wiring loom, doing away with the current keyswitch (with missing key).

So my question is, what do i do?

If I buy the wiring loom on the shop, what battery do I need to work with it?

Also

How do I secure my C5 if I do not have a keyswitch?

Cheers

Paul

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 18, May, 2009 - 21:32:12 »
Security - the best form of security would be a strong cable lock wrapped around the chassic and secured to a fixed object (lamp post etc). The keyswitch only ever stopped someone activating the battery. The C5 was always vulnerable to theft unless it is chained to something since it could be pedalled or carried away quite easily. 

You will still need a key for the boot lock.

Wiring kit - allows you to use any 12v car or leisure battery that fits in the allocated space without fouling the pedals.

Usual warnings apply , check the threads on here about what batteries people use.
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95.0

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=13.0

C5Paul

« Reply #6 on: 18, May, 2009 - 21:34:48 »
I can see me spending money!

Does anybody know about the Adam Harper conversion with the twin batteries?

Has anyone done it and is it any good?

Paul

C5Paul

« Reply #7 on: 18, May, 2009 - 22:06:03 »
Thanks again karl

I bought the wiring loom today with some tyres etc.

Hopefully I can get a battery this week and get the thing going when it all comes!

I dont get this excited flyig my plane!

I have decided to pimp my C5 the same colur as my plane, RAF Red, White and Blue.

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 18, May, 2009 - 22:42:37 »
Thanks again karl

I bought the wiring loom today with some tyres etc.

Hopefully I can get a battery this week and get the thing going when it all comes!

I dont get this excited flyig my plane!

I have decided to pimp my C5 the same colur as my plane, RAF Red, White and Blue.

I love a bit of "pimping" ...check out the furry beastie (aka "Malcolm")

There's plenty of room for both the traditionalist ,wanting to keep things standard, and the adventurous wanting to customise.

It's all good  8)

Don't forget to post some piccies (I usually use photobucket)

C5Paul

« Reply #9 on: 21, May, 2009 - 20:12:04 »
karl,

Thanks for the parts I got them today!

I got my C5 running! For about five minutes i was chasing my mate around my land at breakneck speeds of upto 15mph!

I am now going to take it all to bits to put it all back together again.
Will post some pictures a it happens.

Paulo

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 21, May, 2009 - 21:58:46 »
karl,

Thanks for the parts I got them today!

I got my C5 running! For about five minutes i was chasing my mate around my land at breakneck speeds of upto 15mph!

I am now going to take it all to bits to put it all back together again.
Will post some pictures a it happens.

Paulo

Fantastic news mate

Always chuffed to hear we've helped put another one back on the road  8)