News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Gearbox question  (Read 3606 times)

Benniz

Gearbox question
« on: 28, May, 2009 - 01:50:09 »
Hi All

I have had a look at my motor and I firstly tried to move the outer gearbox cog that attaches to the drive belt with my fingers and it would not move a mill, so was worried the motor was seized, I have already read about the problem with brown fingers which mine has/had but needed to remove the gearbox and indeed they did all snap :( I have removed the gearbox and have found that the motor drive cog is free moving, But the outer gearbox cog still does not move at all. My question I guess is am I right in thinking that the gearbox cog should move round freely as it drives the belt, and that the bearings in the gearbox are probably seized and a new gearbox, and white fingers is what I now need? or is it not supposed to move and I have unnecessary taken it apart :(

Any help would be highly appreciative

Ben

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Gearbox question
« Reply #1 on: 28, May, 2009 - 06:22:54 »
With the gearbox fitted to the motor, you should be able to turn the motor with the white gear by hand.  The gearbox is a nylon reduction drive that is made up with planetary gears inside.

If the motor wont turn by hand you will need to strip it down to see why, there are a number of reasons, one is the magnet stator peels away from the motor body and jams on the commutator, but untill you take a look it could be anything.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 28, May, 2009 - 07:36:08 »
Umpa is right, it all should turn freely.

This thread might help ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=148.0

c5martin

« Reply #3 on: 28, May, 2009 - 09:12:58 »
The bearing that your belt drive cog sits in at the front of your gear box has seized.
Apply some WD40 and twist your belt dive cog assembly one way and then the other.
This should slowly free up the bearing remember to re grease after it is free.

Benniz

« Reply #4 on: 02, June, 2009 - 21:35:16 »
Hi Martin,

Yes it was the gearbox that was seized I have freed it as you advised and everything is moving as it should, will be testing it soon im sure it will all work, But I am now opting to upgrade my motor on the finished item (always good to have a back up though!!)

Many thanks !! Ben