News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Soft tires.  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Soft tires.
« on: 24, June, 2009 - 14:41:04 »
On my way to work my c5 started making a squelching sound from the off side rear.  When I got to work I looked and it seemed to be half flat. So because it was sunny and I wanted to go to work on the c5 again I went to halfords and picked up a new inner.

Fitted the new and tested the old, only to find nothing wrong with it. On my way to work it started to squelch again, it's only half as hard has the other !

So thinking my pump dial was wrong I stuck in 80 psi and it was still softer than the other.  Then BANG there she pops. So I re fit the old and recheck the tire for pins, check the wheel for burrs all fine.

Could it be that this tire has lost some integrity and gone soft compound ? And thus I need another ?

Cheers

ian

Karl

Re: Soft tires.
« Reply #1 on: 24, June, 2009 - 23:05:29 »
You need to ascertain what the problem is . If you check and monitor the tyre pressures with a proper gauge you can identify if you are actually losing air or not. If you are, then it has to be either through the valve, or a hole in the tube.

I'm no expert but it must be safe to assume that extreme temperatures must have an effect on the properties of the tyre, so if you are out in hot weather the tyre will perform differently than it would in the winter.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 25, June, 2009 - 08:45:27 »
Hi Karl,

I know what your thinking, and I know what your saying, all I can tell you is that the pressures on both rear tyres and identical at 45 PSI. The left tyre (drive) is solid and you cant press it in whilst the right is soft and you can press it in with some force.

When I get in the C5, the wall of the right tyre squashes out and rubs on the wheel cover, if I put any more air in the tyre blows when the sun shines.

My only best guess is the rubber in the tyre has gone soft, thus its only the tube offering support ?  I know it sounds crazy and I have had the tube in the sink looking for faulty valves and punctures.  I have checked the wheel and tyre for thorns etc.  I'm at a total loss.

I might order a new rear and tube from you and have done with it, i cant believe something so simple is giving me pain. lol

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 25, June, 2009 - 11:45:20 »
I had the same problem with the first tyres i put on the rear of mine Ian, i think the rubber compound felt different (softer) than what i have now, and when i went out on mine on a longer run i expereinced the tyre popping off the rear rims, when Karl & Martin came on the Royal Run last year they fitted a new pair of tyres, and these have been ok so far, find out on Sunday if they are showing there age or not.

Retro Andy.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 25, June, 2009 - 12:47:34 »
I'm going to work on it again today, I'll see how I get on.  Thanks for the heads up.

I cant make it sunday - trust me I do want to go, I have to fetch Mark from scout camp.

I am going to see Adam Harper on Sat (whilst Marks at scout camp) to pick up an original C5 battery, so I'll mention it to him. I have not ruled out my Incompetence yet - lol.