News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Noise from driving wheel  (Read 2303 times)

Offline musntgrumble

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Noise from driving wheel
« on: 14, August, 2013 - 16:20:20 »
Hi. Took my C5 out for a run yesterday and noticed there was a loud graunching noise from the driving wheel area. When I took the wheel caps off I noticed the nut was loose. Checked the splines they seem ok ( I think)  and tried another wheel and its made no difference. It is ok when not under load when jacked up or pedalling but even when pressing the go button briefly when its stationery for a second the noise appears . Doesnt seem to be a slipping belt , any ideas ? Thanks Mark

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
Re: Noise from driving wheel
« Reply #1 on: 14, August, 2013 - 18:00:49 »
Sounds like your gearbox is kaput, I'd open it up and check all the teeth.

Offline musntgrumble

« Reply #2 on: 14, August, 2013 - 18:14:22 »
Thanks for the reply. Ive figured out its actually the belt slipping Ive just fitted a replacement motor. Ive tried swivelling it around in the white circular housing but nothing seems to tighten the belt(cant quite figure out how swivelling something circular in a circular housing will tighten the belt either !) , the tension remains the same always not particularly a tight belt. There seems to be a bit of play in the small white cog. Ive tried to get the cog of the old and not working  motor by loosening the fingers with no avail. Is it an easy swap  ? Do I end up pulling out the windings  too which didnt work or just pull out the gearbox bit, sorry if Im being rather stupid its just the old one had no play in it and it seems a cheaper fix then getting another. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and could try something else thanks

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 14, August, 2013 - 22:02:30 »
Make sure the gearbox is sitting on the edge of the mounting and not fallen down the side.

Easily solved with a cable tie

There are some pics on the forum of how it should sit. I will have a look, or someone else may post a link.

Heres one link i found, but some of the pics have fallen off, but you should get the jist by reading the thread.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,713.0.html

John - PLOD11
« Last Edit: 14, August, 2013 - 22:08:42 by PLOD11 »

Offline musntgrumble

« Reply #4 on: 16, August, 2013 - 15:25:16 »
Thanks Plod1 think Im sorted now with help from cable tie except for squeek from brake wheel. If I tighten it too hard theres no play in the wheel bit it binds and theres a squeek too loose and wheel wobbles . Even when stationery when I push the wheel theres a squeek. Am I correct in putting the 2 cups with the bearings in one on the inside of the wheel and one on the outer side over the washer over the top of the wheel trim ? Have lost the link to the breakdown of washers/bearings  that chas posted. Have seen a washer with some notches in lying on my garage floor somewhere does that go on this side ? thanks Mark