News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Another Pod issue! No LED display.  (Read 3309 times)

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
Another Pod issue! No LED display.
« on: 26, November, 2011 - 20:37:27 »
Hello
Just done a lot of searching on here, checking and testing of the pods/control box, but still cant get the issue fixed!  Hopefully someone might be able to offer some more advice:

C5 worked fine last month, i removed the body, swapped it over, fitted indicators etc and now the pod dosent light up when the ignition is on, also the throttle button dosent turn the motor. The lights work as do the indicators and horn.

Pod: Ive two pods, both dont illuminate, so i fitted them both to my other C5 and both illuminate spot on, so i think i can eliminate the pod as faulty.

Control Box: With ignition on -  12v on both motor wires (blk and red). 12V to x13 when microswitch pressed (goes to the relay), 12v to the main red cable on the relay. R1 12v in and 12v out.  The chip, 12v on top connector, 0 in middle, 5v on bottom.  Earth to the top left post connector.  Diodes , like D1D3/D4, checked with ohmn meter, they seem to be fine and current flows one way.

Any extra ideas to check? Basiclly no pod lights, no clicking on relay despite pressing the micro switch and power going to X13.

Cheers for any advice.   I dont really want to swap with my working C5 control box, just incase anything blows etc.   

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
Re: Another Pod issue! No LED display.
« Reply #1 on: 26, November, 2011 - 21:01:54 »
12v on X2, X3 and X4 when the ignition is on.
Dont know if there should be 12v on X4 at this moment or not, means that both my motor wires are 12v constant at the moment. Guess one should earth using the relay?

Cheers , !

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • Battery level: 3
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
« Reply #2 on: 26, November, 2011 - 21:48:57 »
pull the red connector from back of pod and clean all pins in the pod with a blade.

every c5 i have ever looked at has had the problem you describe.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 27, November, 2011 - 03:27:58 »
I had a similar intermitent problem see the pic below.

If it happens with two PODs i would first check the POD end of the RED lead,  and then the Control box end of the same red lead. Maybe a bit of switch cleaner down the connector at the pod end and give it a good wiggle about.

Also a broken wire in that loom has been the cause of this in the past.

In my case it was a dry / broken joints on the rear of the connector on the control board. These sometimes are not all that obvious to the naked eye.

To start with, With it all connected both ends gently wiggle the connector in the control box, it may all come back on. or you may need to have a look at the board out of the case..

Let us know how you get on ...

« Last Edit: 27, November, 2011 - 03:37:36 by PLOD11 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #4 on: 27, November, 2011 - 11:32:09 »
I have to agree with pose and plod the most likley cause of this fault is the red harness from pod to control box -if cleaning the pins does not work it maybe worth seeing if chas has any replacement cables left and u can run this on the outside of the c5 to confirm this is the issue - as a general fault guide for a dead pod i usually check as follows :
1. Is the comtrol box supplying 5v
2. Are the pins clean (scrape them as described)
3. Check the solder joints as per Plods excerllent pics)
4.Check the red harness pin for pin
Keep us updated
« Last Edit: 27, November, 2011 - 11:35:13 by radiomarty »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 27, November, 2011 - 12:06:47 »
Hi there I can lend you a pod cable for testing  .Just  send it back when you have  used it ...

Bye Chas